2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:58 AM by Nick Osdale-Popa RSS

Valid SSN Formula?

Nick Osdale-Popa

Is there a formula to determine a valid SSN? I'd like to create a filter based on this.

Thanks.

• Valid SSN Formula?
          Tom Whiteside

Hi, Nick!

There is not exactly a single formula, but about seven or eight ranges of area numbers (first 3 digits) that are not used.  Also, about two dozen SSN's that have been used in advertising, making them invalid.

The best website for ranges, tables, and the various rules used to validate SSN's, is:

[url="http://www.searchbug.com/peoplefinder/ssn-invalid.aspx"]www.searchbug.com/peoplefinder/ssn-invalid.aspx[/url]

If you need to be even more precise and determine if an SSN is potentially valid, but not yet used (and therefore not yet valid), the SSA puts out tables at their website that show the highest ranges of area (1st 3), group (2nd 2), and serial (last 4) numbers that are issued each month.

In short, the easy way is to incorporate the seven or eight ranges of invalid area numbers into your filter - - the most accurate way is to use Monarch's HTML capability and read the SSA's tables every month.

Best wishes!

Tom Whiteside

whitesidetom@yahoo.com[/email]

• Valid SSN Formula?
            Nick Osdale-Popa

Ugh! Sounds like more work than I'd like to put into it. I'll just tell my manager there is no clean-cut formula for an SSN. If he wants to go looking for one, fine.