1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Data Kruncher RSS

Exporting to a particular cell on an Excel worksheet

Diane Miller

We are using Monarch to filter out information from our billing system according to the client then copying & pasting the information into an Excel spreadsheet to bill credit card transaction fees to clients.

This works OK but having just started using projects exports, I don't think it is the most efficient way of doing things.

The problem I've run into is the information needs to be pasted to Excel beginning at a certain cell (for instance B15) on a certain tab (Client C). The cells preceding where it should paste are invoice headers which then calculate costs based on the information pasted.

Can this be done? I guessing you are going to tell me scripting/code can do this but I’ve never written any although I can probably get our IT guys to help me. Any thoughts?

• Exporting to a particular cell on an Excel worksheet
          Data Kruncher

Hi Diane,

I think you're right: you're headed down the scripted automation path.

What I'd recommend for those with little or no previous Excel programming programming would be to try to use Excel macro recording facility to generate your basic code. The macro recorder literally records what you do (open a file, copy a range, paste it somewhere, etc) and creates the program code that will perform those steps on your command.

You can then examine the generated code to learn what's required, in terms of program code, to do what you want to do.

Your IT group may or may not have the background to understand what you want to do, and be able to assist with the programming. If you get stuck, let us know and we Excel programmers around here will do our best, I'm sure, to help.

Kruncher