3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Exporting Summaries

Nigel Winton

It would be an advantage to be able to select a filter when exporting summaries. This would allow me to make up one summary and then export to the individuals instead of using several summaries.

Nigel

• Exporting Summaries
          Grant Perkins

Hi Nigel,

Are you thinking of this as an automated requirement or for a manual run?

If automated I would be tempted to create the required filters and then set up a Project Export using the All Filters option to export the variation of the summary for each of the individual filters.

Alternatively set up multiple versions of the summary each with one of the filters you require for export and make each summary an export task in the Project Export.

With V9 this idea should be enhanced by the ability to utilise a single summary definition for the model and then the use of Linked Objects (Strong Link) to create replicas of the summary but with the separate filters set in each case.

Doing that means that any changes to the summary are automatically applied to all variants, other than filter changes of course! The filter changes would require summary by summary amendment should new filters be required.

There is a section that relates to this in the Linked Objects Tutorial PDF that you should have with the distribution as far as I know. (I have assumed you have the Pro version ...)

HTH.

Grant

• Exporting Summaries
            Nigel Winton

Hi Grant

I was thinking of something much like table export when you can select a filter as you export.

I already do the many summary method and up to now has meant many interesting hours duplicating summaries.

As I have only just got V9 Pro     I have not tried all of it's new bits.

I have a problem with the All Summaries and All Filters method as I have some filters that I would not want to use, as they are for table specific reports and I have other summaries. So a method of selecting the filter would be good. I do not want to get into anythnig like VBA or other automation, as I have to set this up for others to use and need to keep it simple.

Tried to send you a PM last week, but your message box was full, did you get the email I followed it with?

Regards

Nigel

• Exporting Summaries
              Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Nigel Winton:

Tried to send you a PM last week, but your message box was full, did you get the email I followed it with?

Regards

Nigel /b[/quote]Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the heads up on that. I thought I had created some space recently and had several free slots available in my archival system! No warnings from the system either. Space now created.

And no I have not seen any direct mail either. Curious.

I think the V9 linking option might give you a fairly managable way to 'duplicate' models for different purposes (thinking of the different filters for example) whilst only having the workload of one model for post-development  maintenance purposes. However without knowing precisely the requirements and giving them due and full consideration that is probably no better than guesswork on my part.

So if your summary has filters that maybe apply to different end users, thus making 'all summaries identified in the model' a non-option one might notionally split the model off to a clone (or several) strong linked back to the 'master record. Each separate model would then have its own collection of filters.

If the users are running the exports manually V9 also gives the options to select which exports they want to run - which could relate to 'which filters' in effect if filter selection was the difference in each summary.

Grant