6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

models 7 to 8 not opening?

Sammy _

Hi,

I have just upgraded from Monarch 7 to 8 but so far cannot open any of the models created in 7.

Am I missing something fundamental here?

Thanks.

• models 7 to 8 not opening?
          debijo _

V8 creates models with a .xmod extention.  But it will open models with a .mod extension created in a previous version.  Make sure that you are looking for both types when you say open model.

When you say it "cannot open any".  Is it giving you an error or something?

Debi

Grant Perkins

Debi is correct, you really should not have any problems going from 7 to 8.

Have you run the Utility for the mass conversion program? No need to but it might be worth knowing.

The other thought that occurs to me is that, depending on how you upgraded, you may have a rights of access issue to the old models folder from the new installation or something like that. Do you get an error message? If so the message may help us identify where the failure is.

Grant

Sammy _

When I open in V8 I get no message - I just don't see the template shadow on my report.

I am also interested in the mass conversion utility; where is this and would it transform model files that are still being used by 7 users?

Many thanks.

Mike Urbonas

Originally posted by Sammy:

When I open in V8 I get no message - I just don't see the template shadow on my report.

I am also interested in the mass conversion utility; where is this and would it transform model files that are still being used by 7 users?

Many thanks. /b[/quote]You can access the Monarch Utility via your Windows Start button, and then navigate to Monarch Utility via the All Programs option.

F77 _

If you go where you installed Monarch and look in the program directory you should see something named MonarchU (Short for Monarch Utilility Wizard). It will allow you to do all your converts. I have been using it for 6 plus months now and didn't know about it until you question piqued my interest.

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Sammy:

/b[/quote]Sammy,

The only time I have seen that happen is when, for whatever reason, the traps in the model no longer match the underlying report well enough to retrieve any records. A one character horizontal shift can be enough to have the effect, or, for example the use of a blank as part of a trap where, suddenly, the report starts to have data. Or vice versa.

If the model has loaded you should still be able to open the templates, see what it there and make adjustments as required. (Or at least work out what has changed!) If you can't do that then something strange is happening.

Are you opening a report and a model separately or via a project definition? If it is a project referencing a .mod file for the model there could be an anomaly to look at.

Hope this helps.

Grant