4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by KarenG _ RSS

Vertical column headers

KarenG _

I have a report that i really need the column headers to have the Column titles vertically (Long titles and little text in the body of the column)

Presently i am having to export the report to Excel and do it there and then publish it - i wondered if there is a way to 'cut out the middle man' so to speak.

Can anyone help please?!?!  :confused:

• Vertical column headers
          Grant Perkins

Karen,

Are you exporting the report or printing it?

If you are exporting I don't know of a way to do what you want other than export via Excel or perhaps some other similar application. I guess it would be possible to write some code that would automate that process.

If you are printing to a 'fixed width' text file (whether to a real printer or a 'generic text' printer to produce an electronic file) you could try setting the column display widths to be narrow (1 character wide works quite well if your fields are that small) and then make the column header row very deep - drag the lower boundary down as far as it needs to be. The print file will fit as much of the header in as it can wrapped to the width of the column.

It's not elegant but does work as far as it goes.

Alternatively is there any way you could abbreviate and column titles and provide the recipients of the report with a key for what the abbreviations mean? It's an old idea but a practical one.

HTH.

Grant

KarenG _

Hi Grant, thanks for the response.  I need to export the file, and abbreviation is not an option.

I'll just have to keep 'tweaking it' in Excel once its exported.. i was just trying to cut down on fiddling time

Many thanks

Karen

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by KarenG:

I'll just have to keep 'tweaking it' in Excel once its exported.. i was just trying to cut down on fiddling time

/b[/quote]Have you looked at creating a macro to do that for you?

I'm not an expert with Excel but others here are. My understanding is that it should be possible to create an Excel macro that will reformat the worksheet as you need it to be for presentation.

I guess one way would be to export the output to a data sheet but display it via a formatting worksheet.

HTH.

Grant

KarenG _

that is a possibility that i have considered, i look into it further

thanks for your help Grant, a pleasure as always

Regards

Karen