4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Nigel Winton RSS

Databases and Cell Formats

Lynette _

Hi,

Whenever i open a database in monarch I often have challenges when numeric or date fields generate a format error.  If i chose to ignore the message there is no data in the relevent column when extracted via Monarch. Why does this happen? Is there any way I can change the field to appear as a numeric field?

The workaround i use is to open this database in excel, change the formats to character and then proceed. If it is a date field, which I need in calculations, then I have to build a calculated fields CTOD. Concern here is that this is a too long drawn process.

Look forward to replies.

Regards,

• Databases and Cell Formats
          Grant Perkins

Lynette,

The most common reasons are that the database uses a field level data format that is not supported my Monarch and probably not supported by a few other applications as well. What is the source application/database?

There have been some enhancements with V9 which may help you (ability to force Data Types to Character where the original numerics are too large for Monarch usually due to extended decimal place requirements being catered for even when they are not used.) - but it rather depends on what the input source is.

HTH.

Grant

Lynette _

Grant,

The report is a Business Objects extract.

Lynette

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Lynette:

Grant,

The report is a Business Objects extract.

Lynette /b[/quote]I will guess that Business Objects will just pass on to you the formats of the underlying database it is reporting from. Which is... ?

Grant

Nigel Winton

Lynette

I know the problems with Business Objects and find it not very friendly. However I did get success by using the SQL files that sit behind BO and acessing them directly from Monarch. If you can get an ODBC link to them it makes life much easier.

Good Luck

Nigel