6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Pepper _ RSS

Some records have two lines

Pepper _

My data is a vendor list. Most vendors have all of the data on one line.

A-1 Staffing    90 Whatever St     Here, SC 29607

About 10% of the records have an address on the following line:

A-1 Staffing    c/o Somebody       Here, SC 29607

<blanks       > 90 Whatever St

I set up an append template which works except it repeats the append for all subsequent records until it encounters another two-line record.

I'd like the Address2 record to be blank when it is a single-line record. Does this make sense?

Thanks in Advance. Just discovered this forum!

Pepper

• Some records have two lines
          Grant Perkins

Hi Pepper and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure from your description whether your list has 2 lines (one blank) for every record or one line for most with no blank lines but the extra line for 10% of records. Either way there is a solution.

If there are always at least 2 lines make the sample data for the template 2 lines, trap on line one and then paint one or more fields on the second line as required. (However this advice may change if you are using the address interpretation features ...)

If there is usually a single line but sometimes a second line, the template needs to be one line but for the sample but any fields that may have data on the second line should be defined as a multi-line field using the advanced field properties (terminology may vary according according to which version of Monarch you have).

It may be that you will need to make the entire line a multiline field and then use some of the more advanced techniques to split the data into something resembling an address OR into a format which Monarch can understand as an address block - but that also depends on whether the way the report is structured allows you to use address block processing.

If little of this makes any sense let us know which version of Monarch you have and perhaps some sample data (anonymised if neccessary) and we can come up with some more specific suggestions.

I hope this helps a little.

Grant

Pepper _

I may just be tired from working all day, but I am not sure I follow you. Let me look at your reply again when I am not confused.

I attached a sample. I deleted tele numbers and tax id numbers and altered the address by one character to protect the companies.

[url="http://www.gfandh.com/VENDORS.TXT"]Sample Text File[/url]

Pepper _

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to help!

Grant Perkins

Hi Pepper,

The sample file makes things clearer - looks like a report we might expect whereas samples embedded in the postings can look somewhat different and makes me wonder if we are dealing with a really odd output - some are very very odd!

ALl you need to do is make your ADDRESS field a multi-line field using the field properties then click on the Advanced tab. (If you have a fairly old version of Monarch the terminology may be slightly different but the idea is the same.)

Set the "End field on" value to the last value displayed (Probably says 'none of the above' but earlier versions of Monarch used a slightly different term for the same action). Watch out for any records that may cross over a page header - of you have that situation you will need to define a Page Header template even if you do not need any data from it.

And that should be about all you need to do. The help file should provide some useful explanations for the this, Search for Properties and then select the Field Properties Dialog sub option and go from there. (I am assuming your Monarch version will be recent enough to have these help sections.)

From you sample file it looks like you do not need to the Address Block functionality to get your fields populated so ignore my comments about that.

There, much easier now!

Have fun.

Grant

Bruce _

Pepper

Grant's suggestion worked like a charm on your data. I also used a "end field on..." "end of left justifaction" and also on "Blank field values", and they both worked fine.

Pepper _

Yes, it worked great!

Thanks again.