14 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Monarch V8 is Now Available!

Mike Urbonas

It's official: Datawatch has unveiled the new Monarch V8, perhaps the most exciting new version of Monarch to date!

The following news is from the [url="http://www.datawatch.com/pdf/products/monarch/Mar05_Report_Final.pdf"]March 2005 Monarch Report newsletter[/url] (Subscribe to Monarch Report  [url="http://www.datawatch.com/forms/dsp_monarch_subscribe.asp"]here[/url]):

Monarch V8 is more than just a new version... it's a new vision, extending the power and reach of Monarch farther than ever before! 

Monarch V8 is offered in Standard and Professional ("Pro") versions.  In addition to all features of Monarch V8 Standard, Monarch V8 Pro now mines data from PDF files! [/b] This may be our most exciting new feature ever! 

Simply open your PDF file in Monarch V8 Pro.  Monarch converts your PDF into text for easy report mining, with no other software required. 

You can even use Monarch V8 Pro to export[/b] your data in PDF format, complete with selected fonts and color settings!

Turn your PDF-based reports and business documents into live data with Monarch V8 Pro![/b]

Learn more about Monarch V8 Standard and Pro:[/b]

[url="http://www.datawatch.com/download/files/Monarch_V8_web_brochure.pdf"]View the Monarch V8 Brochure (PDF).[/url]

[url="http://www.datawatch.com/dataconversionsoftware/monarchV8_order_form.pdf"]Read and print the Monarch V8 Order Form (PDF)[/url] and place your order today!

Here are just some of the exciting new features offered in both Monarch V8 Standard and Pro: /b /size[list][]Shift Monarch templates to left or right! Sometimes your existing report is changed slightly, with data moving a few spaces to the left or right. With Monarch V8, you can now adjust your existing Monarch model template! No need to create a new model to match your altered report![/size][]Multiple footers! Past versions of Monarch allowed for only one footer template.  Monarch V8 now lets you create multiple footers to access data previously unreachable![/size][]New Report Tree View! Monarch V8 now allows you to create a report navigation tree to automatically jump to any desired portion of your report (previously available only separately as Monarch Report Explorer).[/size][]New "Jump to Table"! You can now highlight any line of your report and jump to the row in your Monarch table containing the data from that report row. Also, when viewing summarized data, you can jump back to the corresponding detail data.[/size][]New and improved Calculated Field functions, including a powerful REPLACE function, to replace every instance of a text substring with a new substring.[/size][]Many more data analysis improvements! Monarch V8 now also lets you create calculated fields as Memo fields. New "User-Edited Fields" lets you selectively fill in data however you wish, much like a typical Excel column. Plus, easily combine existing data filters together, and create new filters with a simple point and click![/size][]Improved formatting of summary data and charts! It’s easier than ever to format your Monarch Summary data and charts to match your needs![/size][]Extra-wide reports are now accepted by Monarch V8, up to 4,000 characters wide! Previously, Monarch was limited to 1,000 characters per line.[/size][*]Plus much more![/size][/list]

Monarch V8 is the result of direct feedback from many Monarch users who told us how to make Monarch even better than ever.  Monarch V8 Standard and Pro are available right now for immediate purchase, with special discounted upgrade pricing for Monarch V6 and Monarch V7 users.

Please contact our Monarch sales team at 800-445-3311 for complete details, and put the power of Monarch V8 to work for you today!

[size="1"][ March 29, 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Mike Urbonas ][/size]

• Monarch V8 is Now Available!
          Dirk Schulze

I received my Monarch v8 Pro upgrade today.  I've played with the PDF abilities for about the last hour and so far I'm very impressed.  Obviously I haven't put it through rigorous usage as of yet, but it certainly seems[/i] to work better than any other PDF conversion software I've tried.  I hate to sound like a commercial for Monarch but I have PDF issues (see  [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000244#000000)"]http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000244#000000)[/url] ).  I guess I'd just like to express my gratitude to whoever decided to add PDF conversion to Monarch's arsenal.

[size="1"][ February 09, 2006, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Mary Lou Sullivan ][/size]

Sunapee _

I also got v8 today and am happy with the new pdf functionality. 

One question I do have is can I have both v7 and v8 available on the same PC? 

We have many customers who we maintain models for, and I cannot do this in v8 unless they also upgrade. 

Utopia would be for me to be able to use either version depending on which one my customer is on.

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Sunapee:

One question I do have is can I have both v7 and v8 available on the same PC? 

/b[/quote]I have version 6, 7 and 8 available on the same PC.

You just need to make sure you install in a different directory and take care with the default locations set for various things.

And of course be aware of the limits to model sharing between versions! (Beyond the usual need to ensure you don't use functions only available in the later version.)

I imagine there would be no licence issues with having multiple versions installed where the support of the varied user base is concerned. However I am not in a position to be sure about that - maybe Mike or Gareth could provide guidance?

Edit to add something I forgot:

The only odd thing I have found is that the Help files tend to to be set to whichever was the last one you used. So if you last used the V7 Help and then click the Help button in V6 you are likely to get the MS procedure related to 'First use of help files' pop up each time you 'change'.

Personally I don't find that a problem. In fact as I run V6 and its help rarely these days I tend to navigate to the Monarch 6 programs folder and run either the program or the Help file from there.

Grant

Max Naef

Hello!

Good reasons for upgrading to Monarch Pro V8!

Can Monarch Pro V8 also handle PDF-files which have been created by a scanning process?

Will the German Version be available later?

Thanks and best regards

Max

Norm _

Can Monarch Pro v8 accept scanned/faxed PDFs?

Mike Urbonas

Afraid not.  Monarch can convert PDF files that are not merely an image file wrapped within a PDF ("PDF Normal" type of PDF file, for example, would work).

The only way to mine data from any image file would be to use an OCR software (Optical Character Recognition) and convert to text.

How can I upgrade from ver 1.02?

Mike Urbonas

Originally posted by hdieter:

How can I upgrade from ver 1.02? /b[/quote]You will have to purchase Monarch V8. Upgrade pricing is offered for Monarch V7 users, plus Monarch V6 users through Sept. 30. 2005.  Monarch V8 should read even the very old model files from Monarch V1.

[size="1"][ June 13, 2005, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Mike Urbonas ][/size]

Thanks Mike

MoniMike _

Quick Question....new to this product and we are thinking about purchasing. We are having a hard time with converting any large .pdf's to .rtf to be able to pull the images and text from them. Is this something Monarch does well? Adobe blows up on every conversion?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

[size="1"][ September 29, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: MoniMike ][/size]

calculus87 _

Good afternoon ,

I currently have version 8.  I am getting a few mods that are version 7.  I have attempted to convert them, but have been unsucessful.

I followed the steps to convert from text model to xml model, but the file is a .mod already.

It appeared that it updated the file, but when I run the new mod I no data come out on the table screen. or the summary screen.

Anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks

Data Kruncher

Welcome to the forum calculus87.

First, check to see that a filter isn't being applied to the Table. Go to the filters dialog and set it to "No Filter". The summary may be set to use the "Default filter" (not generally a good idea, IMO), and as such will be controlled by whatever filter is currently applied in the Table.

If the filter isn't a problem (maybe no filters exist), then it's time to check the detail template, and make sure that it's going to work properly on the current report file. Maybe the structure of the report has changed somewhat, and the template needs to be revised a little.

Does that help to move you along at all?

Kruncher

Grant Perkins

Further to Kruncher's suggestions - V8 should be able to read a V7 model and use it as it is. If you have tried that and no extracted information appeared and there was no error message then something has changed.

There may be some possibility that you need to check the Input Options settings but what may or may not influence things in there will depend on you input files. I don't recall what if any specific differences there might be between 7 and 8 but if you don't find anything else have a look there as well.

HTH.

Grant

Mike Urbonas

Originally posted by MoniMike:

Quick Question....new to this product and we are thinking about purchasing. We are having a hard time with converting any large .pdf's to .rtf to be able to pull the images and text from them. Is this something Monarch does well? Adobe blows up on every conversion?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike /b[/quote]Monarch V8 Pro should simply ignore the graphics in your PDF and convert only the text.  You can purchase Monarch risk free with a 30 day refund guarantee.  If you purchase, be sure you buy Monarch V8 Pro edition for PDF conversions, and also install the V8.01 maintenance upgrade (available for download online via datawatch.com  - click on Support and then Download) which addresses many issues surrounding converting poorly formatted PDF to text reliably.

Mike