1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Trapping Blank Record

sfnewbie _

I'm relatively new to Monarch Pro 7. I am trying to capture the following data. The problem I'm having is that the first line is non-blank, but the 2nd line may be blank; however, if the 2nd line is non blank, it may be a variable number of records

PO Line Description            

-

-

Release Shipment

-

-

Quantity Ordered

-

1       Everdream Asset Manageme

<blank> <blank>

<blank> <blank>

<blank line>

1       IT01.12: Cisco capital l

1       1

1       2

If I use the Release & Quantity Ordered lines as Detail, then I capture all of the release lines, but any line without a release, like the first record, is ignored.

Can someone help?

• Trapping Blank Record
          Grant Perkins

Hi and welcome.

2 ideas.

First - treat this as separate extracts. Create a new model for the records with NO "Release & Quantity Ordered" lines. Then combine the two extracts (make sure the format is the same) and sort as required.

OR

Grab the first line as the line of detail.

Set the second line to a multi row field and grab whatever comes out. Then slice and dice the line back to the component fields you require using things like the LSPLIT or RSPLIT functions and calculated fields.

There may be other approaches but at this point things often start to get very specific to the report layout and contents so it seems best ot wait for your comments on the suggestions so far befiore going deeper. Right now I favour the former since we have an unknown number of 'detail' lines possible which makes the estimates for the slice and dice formula a little more challenging.

Hope this helps a little.

Grant

Originally posted by sfnewbie:

I'm relatively new to Monarch Pro 7. I am trying to capture the following data. The problem I'm having is that the first line is non-blank, but the 2nd line may be blank; however, if the 2nd line is non blank, it may be a variable number of records

PO Line Description            

-

-

Release Shipment

-

-

Quantity Ordered

-

1       Everdream Asset Manageme

<blank> <blank>

<blank> <blank>

<blank line>

1       IT01.12: Cisco capital l

1       1

1       2

If I use the Release & Quantity Ordered lines as Detail, then I capture all of the release lines, but any line without a release, like the first record, is ignored.

Can someone help? /b[/quote]