4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

How to capture 2 out of three values

BobH _

Hi,

How do I setup the trap line to capture detail lines where Account number is C10 or C20 and the Account number column can contain many other values besides C10 and C20

did I make sense?

thanks

bobh.

• How to capture 2 out of three values
          Grant Perkins

Originally posted by BobH:

Hi,

How do I setup the trap line to capture detail lines where Account number is C10 or C20 and the Account number column can contain many other values besides C10 and C20

did I make sense?

thanks

bobh. /b[/quote]A possibility, but unlikely I would guess, is that the two Account Numbers you want are unique in starting with C and having 0 as the third character. That would do it.

But assuming you also have C30, C40, C50 and so on you might be best off to trap on "C 0" and then filter the records that you find in the table to leave only those you want to report and analyse.

Of course you couold also just trap any account number and filter in the same way. Unless your report is very large doing that would not make much difference to the processing.

I hope this helps. Followup questions are welcome.

Grant

BobH _

Grant,

Your statement about appling a filter lead me to a result which works, I built a filter which I had forgotten about being able to do in Monarch.

thanks for the brain kicker.....

bobh.

andrek _

Hi, how do you build that filter?

I´ve no expirience with filters.

I´ve a ASCCI File like this:

Decrb.    Value

A          10

B          11

C          12

D          11

How can i Filter only A and C?

AND, if there only Values like B and D can i

export only one line wiht an other Value, like this:

Descrb.   Value

A         11

B         11

C         11

D         11

I want to export:

Descrb.   Value

Z         99

Is it with Filters possible?

Grant Perkins

Andre,

I think the best idea is to look in the internal Help files which should give you a detailed guide to the options available - and there a re many ways to make filters. All the functions, if appropriate for use as part of a filter, have examples of one or sometimes two ways that they can be used.

The Simple filter would be

="A"

or ="B"

As you have version 8 you could then make a new COMPOUND filter which uses both of these at the same time. (Good if the individual filters may be something that change frequently or the required filter is rather complex to create.)

Or a simple way to select both A and C in one filter would be

.IN.("A", "C")

I think your conditional field, based on the value or values of other fields, is not a direct filter but a calculated field or possibly a presention of data depending on the result of a summary of the detail.

Have a look at the information relating to SUMMARIES and in particular the way the specific values can be presented or grouped and the way the MEASURE value can be manipulated. See if that gives you any answers. It may result in more questions! But if you have not really investigated the summary options before there is a lot to be gained by looking at how it works in general before dealing with a specific requirement.

If you already know about summaries then I apologise for suggesting that you look  - but my guess is that you would also know about filters if you were using summaries.

I could be wrong.

I hope this helps.

Grant