6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Report wrapping issue

sumamatt _

I have a report that I am doing two templates for.  The issue is the report view has a format like this:

field1 field2 field3     pg1

xxxx   xxxx   xxx

xxxx   xxxx   xxx

field4 field5            pg100

xx     xxxxx

xx     xxxxx

xx     xxxxx

When I do the second template as an append it shows up blank.  When I do it as a footer it shows the first record all the way down the columns.  Please help.

Thanks,

• Report wrapping issue
          Grant Perkins

Sounds tricky.

Are there really up to 100 pages between the start of a record and its continuation?

If so, how do you know which page the continuation starts - your example layout does not seem to offer anything to link the two sections together.

Grant

Originally posted by sumamatt:

I have a report that I am doing two templates for.  The issue is the report view has a format like this:

field1 field2 field3     pg1

xxxx   xxxx   xxx

xxxx   xxxx   xxx

field4 field5            pg100

xx     xxxxx

xx     xxxxx

xx     xxxxx

When I do the second template as an append it shows up blank.  When I do it as a footer it shows the first record all the way down the columns.  Please help.

Thanks, /b[/quote]

• Report wrapping issue
            sumamatt _

Yes there are at least 100 pages in between where the data starts piling up on each other.  The differences in the two traps I did are I capture field 1,2 and 3 with different Blanks and Numeric than I capture fields 4 and 5 and that seperates the two fine because I can pull the two with different mods fine.

Thanks,

• Report wrapping issue
              Grant Perkins

I assume that fields 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are really all part of the same record? That also assumes that each row represents one record.

Do all possible rows always have all five fields?

How would ou identify when reading the report (forget models and data patterns for a moment) where the 'wrapped' pages start? Is there an obvious header to the page for example?

If 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 all reallybelong on one row (which seems likely from what you have described) we really need to find a way put them together but appends and headers and footers will not do that in the current form.

So we either need to look at a multi-stage process - e.g. get the first 100 pages, then the second 100 paes and find a reliable way to join the widely separated lines back together - or find a way to re-arrange the report so that the 2 lines come together again. Even better if the data from the ines could be re-joined into a single line.

Monarch and its utilities do allow that possibility subject to working out how to go about the re-structuring. And the best approach to that will depend on whether you will be running this 'manually' or you need it to be totally automated.

Grant

Originally posted by sumamatt:

Yes there are at least 100 pages in between where the data starts piling up on each other.  The differences in the two traps I did are I capture field 1,2 and 3 with different Blanks and Numeric than I capture fields 4 and 5 and that seperates the two fine because I can pull the two with different mods fine.

Thanks, /b[/quote]

• Report wrapping issue
                sumamatt _

Exactly, each row represents a record and you get the first half on the first page and the back half of the record on the 200th page for example.  If I could cut and paste them back together to the same record I would but it needs to be more than a one time deal.  I thought Monarch would be best because it can take the field headers and just grab the information beneath them every time.  I don't want it to be a manual process every time since opening the file with Monarch then opening a model switching to a table is a lot simpler than scrolling down excel to find the end cutting than pasting next to where the data is suppose to be.  Maybe that is the best way to reformat I just don't know if Monarch is capable.

Thanks,

• Report wrapping issue
                  Data Kruncher

Hi, hope you don't mind if I jump in on this one.

If your fields 4 and 5 do generate a record for every time you have the record for the other fields (no blanks) I think I have a solution.

This requires two models. First, build a model which will export fields 4 and 5 and a calculated field equal to RecNo().

Now build the model for fields 1, 2 and 3. Add to this model two lookup fields based on RecNo(), which will bring in fields 4 and 5.

Assuming (OK, I know, I know...) that you have say X number of records in the first 100 pages, and that the same X number of records in the next 100 pages, and that the records appear in the same sequence, you're done.

Does this work for your situation?

Kruncher

• Report wrapping issue
                    Grant Perkins

Nice solution Data Kruncher and it certainly sounds like it would do the job in the absence of a key reference common to the relevent lines on both sections of the report.

Excellent.

I was thinking in terms of a slightly more tortuous route for re-presenting the report by selecting every line and then re-sorting them into 2 line records, then save the 'new' file and have a model run against that. It may be necessary to identify how many pages/rows existed in a particular report version for that to function successfully.

I prefer the DK idea.

Obviously any of the ideas could be scripted to a batch file for automation.