2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Berks _ RSS

automation of monarch utility

Berks _

I see a few references to this in the forums and in the Utility help file, but I'm still at a loss.

I have a text file with lines that exceed 4000 characters.  The carriage return character appears to be in the lines when I view in a program other than Monarch Pro V9 (such as notepad), but Monarch is not able to display the report correctly.

If I use the Monarch Utility to insert line breaks, the report looks fine.  I do not seem to be able to use the Utility from the command line, however, or more to the point, in a batch file, which is essential.  Invoking from the command line opens the program in Windows and adding any parameters on the command line appears to have no result.  The prep utility is not of use, as the lines still exceed 256 characters in length after adding the line breaks.

Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.  I have a file with dummy data if anyone wants to reproduce the problem.

Regards, Skip

• automation of monarch utility
          Gareth Horton

Skip,

I tested this out on a text file with 5000 characters using batch files with no issues.

Here are the commands I used, for your reference

[font="courier"] "c:program filesmonarchprogrammonarchu.exe" "c:monarchutest5000chars.txt" "c:monarchutest5000chars_line_length.txt" /lr 2500 2500

"c:program filesmonarchprogrammonarchu.exe" "c:monarchutest5000chars.txt" "c:monarchutest5000chars_stream_500.txt" /nr 500 /font[/quote]The first one was using the "Insert line breaks into files having line lengths greater than 4000 characters" option and the second was the "Insert line breaks into continuous stream files" option.

Gareth

Originally posted by Berks:

I see a few references to this in the forums and in the Utility help file, but I'm still at a loss.

I have a text file with lines that exceed 4000 characters.  The carriage return character appears to be in the lines when I view in a program other than Monarch Pro V9 (such as notepad), but Monarch is not able to display the report correctly.

If I use the Monarch Utility to insert line breaks, the report looks fine.  I do not seem to be able to use the Utility from the command line, however, or more to the point, in a batch file, which is essential.  Invoking from the command line opens the program in Windows and adding any parameters on the command line appears to have no result.  The prep utility is not of use, as the lines still exceed 256 characters in length after adding the line breaks.

Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.  I have a file with dummy data if anyone wants to reproduce the problem.

Regards, Skip /b[/quote]

• automation of monarch utility
            Berks _

Gareth,

At least, I see from your example, that I am writing the command line correctly.

I wonder if there is something wrong with my machine in particular.  There is another workstation here with Monarch installed. I will test the batch on the other machine at the next opportunity and let you know what happens.

Thanks!

Skip