3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

trap for size grid

Will _

I'm a new user with a problem I haven't seen covered in the Monarch V7 documentation or in this forum.  I have a report that give size data (for pants, as it happens) in a grid format (waist along the top, inseam down the left side) that wraps, so that between headers I sometimes have one and a half grids to accomodate all the waist sizes.  Here's a small chunk of one of the grids:

-

28 |    29 |    30 |    31 |    32 |

-

|-----|---|---|---|-----|

29  |       |       |       |       |       |

-

30  |       |     2 |     2 |     2 |     2 |

-

31  |       |       |       |       |       |

-

32  |       |     2 |     2 |     2 |     2 |

-

33  |       |       |       |     2 |       |

-

34  |       |       |       |     2 |     2 |

-

36  |       |       |       |     2 |     2 |

-

38  |       |       |       |       |       |

-

40  |       |       |       |       |       |

-

In the actual report, the columns line up, because spaces and dashes take the same amount of room.

Is there any possibility of being able to trap this data, or is it, as I suspect, just plain impossible?

Thanks!

• trap for size grid
          Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Will:

I'm a new user with a problem I haven't seen covered in the Monarch V7 documentation or in this forum.  I have a report that give size data (for pants, as it happens) in a grid format (waist along the top, inseam down the left side) that wraps, so that between headers I sometimes have one and a half grids to accomodate all the waist sizes.  Here's a small chunk of one of the grids:

[font="courier"] -

28 |    29 |    30 |    31 |    32 |

-

29  |       |       |       |       |       |

-

30  |       |     2 |     2 |     2 |     2 |

-

31  |       |       |       |       |       |

-

32  |       |     2 |     2 |     2 |     2 |

-

33  |       |       |       |     2 |       |

-

34  |       |       |       |     2 |     2 |

-

36  |       |       |       |     2 |     2 |

-

38  |       |       |       |       |       |

-

40  |       |       |       |       |       |

-

|-----|---|---|---|-----| /font[/quote]In the actual report, the columns line up, because spaces and dashes take the same amount of room.

Is there any possibility of being able to trap this data, or is it, as I suspect, just plain impossible?

Thanks! [/b][/quote]Hi Will,

It looks like an application for the multi-column region functionality at first sight however I am slightly cautious as I seem to recall some odd situations with unpopulated field positions in columns and you seem to have a lot of those!

Of course the real answer to youe problem depends upon what you need to get out of the report in the end.

If the MCR idea will not produce the output you need ( It would give each cell of the grid a field of its own with another field showing inseam value and a thrid giving waist value) there are other options to look at which may involve some of the more advanced 'Voodoo Monarch' techniques for slicing lines of data and building associations. No doubt some posters here have seen the presentations or had the advanced training!

Tell us what you need as the result as we can treat it as the weekend challenge!    

Grant

• trap for size grid
            Will _

Thanks, Grant.

What I need is to be able to make a table containing the product codes, the full  size values (concatenated or separate), and the units ordered of each, like:

ProdCode     Waist  Inseam    Units

11111-1111   28     29        

11111-1111   28     30        2

11111-1111   28     32       

11111-1121   36     34        6

And so on.  My problem so far with a multi-column region bounded by the header and the footer is that I don't know how to make Monarch treat the inseam values as distinct from Units Ordered values. 

I plan to export the resulting table into Excel to use as a static data provider in a Business Obects report, but I can handle the data type issues if I can only get a product/size/ordered units table.

Again, thanks a million for your help.

• trap for size grid
              Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Will:

Thanks, Grant.

What I need is to be able to make a table containing the product codes, the full  size values (concatenated or separate), and the units ordered of each, like:

[font="courier"]ProdCode     Waist  Inseam    Units

11111-1111   28     29        

11111-1111   28     30        2

11111-1111   28     32       

11111-1121   36     34        6[/font][/quote]And so on.  My problem so far with a multi-column region bounded by the header and the footer is that I don't know how to make Monarch treat the inseam values as distinct from Units Ordered values. 

I plan to export the resulting table into Excel to use as a static data provider in a Business Obects report, but I can handle the data type issues if I can only get a product/size/ordered units table.

Again, thanks a million for your help. /b[/quote]OK, got it.

I assume you are happy with where to get the Product Code - it's not in the table sample I assume!

Here's what to try.

Set up the columns to miss column one (Inseam)  and just exist for the columns with Waist header values. Remember that you only want to paint the unit field in the first column so get the view set up for that column only. (MCR Design tick box to toggle) From the sample provided my cut and paste gives a 5 column design, left most point opf the first column and position 6 and column width 8.)

On the single template line you can also paint a field in the first column (outside the MCR part) to pick up the Inseam value.

Save that template.

Pick the Waist value line at the top of the first MCR column and use that as a sample to create an append template. You will need a different trap from the detail template of course. For the detail temp[late I used the numeric values for the Inseam to select the lines. For the Waist append I used the dashed lines at the start of the line AND a space after the waist value position. I assumed the value will not exceed 99 (  :eek:  ) or if it does it will not extend to the right!

I guess you will also have an append somewhere for your product code. In which case you may have some sections of the report where you do NOT want the MCR to apply. You can do this by specifying the vertical boundaries for the MCR using templates, including some dummy templates if necessary, to define where the MCR sections stop and start.

I would offer more advice on this but without the full report format to assess I could be making things too complex or not complex enough! So I will leave it out of this post.

And that should be that PROVIDED my previous observations about blank 'cell' values are unfounded. I have 7.02 installed and that does not seem to have a problem.

I hope that helps.

Let us know.

Grant