5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Can't connect to Timberline 9.4

Cory Collier

All,

We recently upgraded from Timberline Accounting 9.2 to 9.4. Since, we haven't been able to use our ODBC connections to connect to our data.

Here's an example DSN string:

ODBC;DSN=O & T CONSOL;DRIVER=Timberline Data;UID=dave;CODEPAGE=1252;DBQ=T:O&T Consolidated

Nevermind that the actual upgrade itself was difficult, but now we can't get monarch to connect. When we try to select a database, we select the odbc  connection, put in our password, and nothing happens.

There are no errors reported.

The program does nothing.

What's going on?

• Can't connect to Timberline 9.4
          Grant Perkins

Cory,

Have you or your IT people recreated the ODBC connections?

Upgrades, especially difficult ones, often mean that database structures and enquiries related to them will have changed so old definitions will not work. Or the locations of things have changed. Or it may simply be that the drive mappings (for drive T: in this case) need to be changed.

On the other hand of you can see the data using other programs on the same ODBC connection there may be something more specific about the connection that needs to be reset for Monarch to gain access. Passwords or anything like that in play?

HTH.

Grant

Cory Collier

Grant,

The location of the data files on the server HAS changed.

However, the location for users has not. We map out the Timberline folder to "T:". When we changed the folder location on the server, we updated the network drive map for the users as well.

So for the users, the location is the same.

Passwords ARE in effect.

Grant Perkins

Cory,

Do any other applications have direct ODBC access using their pre-upgrade DSN definitions? I'm thinking maybe Excel or something.

Have you created new ODBC connections to see what happens?

Are all the Monarch installation exactly as they were before - no parallel changes to consider on that side?

Could it be something to do with user account permissions on the new folder which is now known as the T: drive?

Just some thoughts - you have probably looked at these things already but I'll throw them in just in case.

Grant

Cory Collier

Grant,

You are a thoughtful and clever man. However, the problem was much simpler than I had anticipated. Timberline charges for use of their odbc driver. When I upgraded the application, I neglected to enter the activation code for the driver. A quick talk with tech support at Timberline (Their support is excellent) and the problem was solved.

Thanks for your help anyways.

Cory

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Cory Collier:

Grant,

When I upgraded the application, I neglected to enter the activation code for the driver. A quick talk with tech support at Timberline (Their support is excellent) and the problem was solved.

/b[/quote]Hi Cory,

Hehe! A trick question then!?     

And of course one of those simple things that we have all overlooked from time to time. (Many times in my case I have to admit.)

Glad you found the cause and got the fix. Also that you have a supplier with a great Tech Support operation. Such things seem rare these days. My recent experiences have been very mixed. Where service stands out it seems it is often down to the individuals involved.

Have fun with your upgrade.

Grant