3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Internal record length exceeded

ijf _

Hello,

I am having trouble with my summary. I am using Monarch Pro v9 on win xp. I keep getting the Internal record length exceeded error message when I try to add more fields to my summary. I have read the help about this error, and I am not exceeding the 2000 characters length in my summary definition. In fact, I have under 1000 at the moment.

I am assuming the length of each field is in the "data length" attribute - is that correct? or is it the "width"? Either way, I am under 1000 characters. So far I have 14 fields in my summary and no sorting.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Do I need to provide more info?

Thanks,

Ivy

• Internal record length exceeded
          Grant Perkins

Ivy,

Have a look in the Help file for "Specifications" and then specifically at the sections related to

"Number, and length, of all fields involved in a sort definition."

Since this seems the most likely area of variability for problems like yours.

If you have a lot of extracted fields, calculated fields, filters, sorts and so on the internal record that enables all of that can fill up and may cause the sort of error message you are seeing.

If, on the other hand, you don't have lot of fields or many very large fields it is more of a puzzle. But this is a good place to start from.

HTH.

Grant

ijf _

Thanks Grant. I read the whole Help topic on specifications (rather than just about exceeding the internal record length).

I have one (dumb) clarification question you may be able to help me out with: Where it says the Key field length specification is 256 characters, is that a sum of all of the characters in all of the key fields for that summary? or that any one key field cannot exceed 256 characters?

Thanks for all of your help,

Ivy

Grant Perkins

Hi Ivy,

Good question.

I have always taken it to be per field since any usable fields, memo fields being excluded anyway, cannot exceed 254 chars.

I have had a few summaries with about 6 large key fields (too many of those in a large database and things will slow down a lot, believe me) but I doubt I have ever pushed the target number as a total.

Maybe one of the technical posters could provide guidance?

I guess one could quickly create a test file to see what happens!

Grant