4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:57 AM by MorseB _ RSS

Jet database internal error 3315 cannot be zero-length string

MorseB _

Does anyone know how to work around jet database internal error 3315 cannot be zero-length string?

Exporting to Microsoft Access when receiving this error on a record with a field value of Null.

Thanks.

• Jet database internal error 3315 cannot be zero-length string
          Gareth Horton

Beth

Using the table design tool within Access, ensure that the parameter "Allow Zero Length" pertaining to the field you are attempting to modify, is set to "yes".

Gareth

Originally posted by MorseB:

Does anyone know how to work around jet database internal error 3315 cannot be zero-length string?

Exporting to Microsoft Access when receiving this error on a record with a field value of Null.

Thanks. /b[/quote]

MorseB _

Great information.  Now how to I correct the following situation.

No filter and through a join to a Microsoft database I determine financial agency (Agency).  If not found Null is displayed.  When I apply filter criteria:

(Cycle>=[Cycle Num] .And. ERROR_CODE="L10"  .And. BANK_ID>="350"   .And. AGENCY<>"275")

Record with Agency = Null does not display.

If I apply filter criteria:

Cycle>=[Cycle Num].And. ERROR_CODE="L10"  .And. BANK_ID.NotIn.("000","001","002","003","004","005","006","007","008","350","351","352","355","358","821","823")

Record with Agency = Null does display.

I do not understand why.

Thank you for the help.

Bruce _

Beth

In the 1st case you have limited the filter to AGENCY<>"275". This will Not find nulls, only items with a valid entry that are not equal to "275". If you need to see nulls change the filter to

(Cycle>=[Cycle Num] .And. ERROR_CODE="L10" .And. BANK_ID>="350" .And. AGENCY<>"275") .Or. IsNull(AGENCY)

/quoteNote that you already had a set of of brackets around your formula, but if you did not you would need them to make sure that sure 1st part of the formula is evalulated seperatly from the IsNull statement.

The 2nd filter does not look at Agency at all so it does not filter anything related to that field, regardless of nulls or not.

Let us know if this helps.

smile.gif[/img]

MorseB _

Bruce,

I finally tried the .Or. IsNull(Agency).  It works alone but when I add to the end of (Cycle>=[Cycle Num] .And. ERROR_CODE="L10"  .And. BANK_ID>="350"   .And. AGENCY<>"275"), record is not returned.

Any explanation why?

Agency is derived from a join to an outside database.

Thank you for the help