10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Doug Hinchon RSS

TS issue with mfwfil32.dll

Rob _

I am having a similar problem to as mentioned at  [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000687#000001."]http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000687#000001.[/url]   The mfwfil32.dll is missing or the wrong version error.  What is the resolution of this issue?

Specifically I've installed the Monarch software under TS (Windows Server 2003 SP1).  The application was installed using user install mode. 

When logged in as a user, the DLL is accessible and the effective permissions are read on the DLL.  In the current user registry, the monarch.exe application path is correct too.  The error still occurs.

The application can run fine as a domain admin which isn't feasible. 

Please help...

[size="1"][ February 08, 2006, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Mike Urbonas ][/size]

• TS issue with mfwfil32.dll
          Gareth Horton

Rob, this almost always comes down to permissions in the end.

Try opening regedt32 as the Monarch user and

checking the permissions for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionApp PathsMonarch.exe

BTW this key should have two string values

"Default" should show the path to the Monarch executable.

"Path" should first show the path to mfwfil32.dll, then a semicolon, then the path in which the Monarch executable resides.

When Monarch starts up, it queries this entry to find mfwfil32.dll, dzip32.dll and dunzip32.dll.

Here is a regedit dump of that key:

[font="courier"]REGEDIT4

@="C:Program FilesMonarchProgramMonarch.exe"

"Path"="C:Program FilesCommon FilesDatawatch Shared;C:Program FilesMonarchProgram"

/font[/quote]If for some reason it is prevented from reading this entry, or if it cannot access the file, the error message occurs.

I have seen permissions denied for users to anything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion, to avoid the Run/RunOnce keys etc.

You could try changing the path (the first one in the Path value before the semicolon) to point to another folder and copy the dll there to see if that has any effect, or change the path to be the same as the path to the monarch executable and copy mfwfil32.dll there.

I hope this gets you a little further.

Gareth

Originally posted by Rob:

I am having a similar problem to as mentioned at   [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000687#000001."]http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000687#000001.[/url]    The mfwfil32.dll is missing or the wrong version error.  What is the resolution of this issue?

Specifically I've installed the Monarch software under TS (Windows Server 2003 SP1).  The application was installed using user install mode. 

When logged in as a user, the DLL is accessible and the effective permissions are read on the DLL.  In the current user registry, the monarch.exe application path is correct too.  The error still occurs.

The application can run fine as a domain admin which isn't feasible. 

Please help... /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ February 09, 2006, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Mary Lou Sullivan ][/size]

Rob _

Thanks for the tip.  The registry values are as defined.  I found that if I made the user a Power User, they were able to run the application without issue.  The only difference between a Power User and User on the permissions on these registry keys were: set value, create subkey, delete are enabled for Power Users.  All users have permission to read the keys.

Also, the user is a TERMINAL SERVER USER which has the same permissions on  these keys as the Power User.

Do the users have to be Power Users under TS?

Gareth Horton

Rob

I am not sure why this is happening.

If you install Monarch on a non-TS machine

and then log in as a user it works fine with those rights, i.e. read only permissions on that key.

I just checked on XPSP2, I also checked using

a TS remote admin session (2000 Server) using a standard user, allowing "User Access" on the RDP-TCP with no problems.

I don't have a 2003 Server runing TS in app mode at my disposal at the moment.  Maybe I can try and build one next week to test.

Gareth

Thanks for the tip.  The registry values are as defined.  I found that if I made the user a Power User, they were able to run the application without issue.  The only difference between a Power User and User on the permissions on these registry keys were: set value, create subkey, delete are enabled for Power Users.  All users have permission to read the keys.

Also, the user is a TERMINAL SERVER USER which has the same permissions on  these keys as the Power User.

Do the users have to be Power Users under TS? /b[/quote]

Rob _

OK, thanks for the help.  We are running SP1 on Server 2003.

I'm very confused too!  I appreciate any help you can provide.

Gareth Horton

Rob,

As I mentioned to you, I had no problem getting this working on TS at all, with the user logging in and running the program.

However, after getting sucked in to learning a little more on 2003 TS, I set up a remote desktop connection from XP that started Monarch on connection (via the Programs tab on the RDC client)

For the same user, this DID produce the error message, using the following settings:

Program path and file name:

c:program filesmonarchprogrammonarch.exe

Start in the following folder:

c:program filesmonarchprogram

I got it to work by changing the path in the "Start in" folder to

c:program filescommon filesdatawatch shared

For good measure, %PROGRAMFILES%common filesdatawatch shared also worked.

Perhaps this was how you were trying to invoke Monarch from TS, rather than using an interactive session, I'm not sure, but it is quite strange that the error should occur when opening Monarch on connect with exactly the same user account.

Gareth

OK, thanks for the help.  We are running SP1 on Server 2003.

I'm very confused too!  I appreciate any help you can provide. /b[/quote]

Rob _

Interesting information!  I changed the security on the Monarch.exe app path key to give regular users the same permissions as Power Users as you suggested.  This seemed to resolve the issue although we're still testing.

When we were receiving the error the users were running the application in a TS interactive session.  This doesn't mean the start in issues isn't a cause.  I wonder if we should just copy the DLL into the monarch directory?  Would this create problems or unexpected consequences?

Thanks again for all your help!

Gareth Horton

Rob

Copying the dll into the Monarch directory should not make a difference, as Monarch locates it solely by the App Paths entry, so it will not find it, even if it is in the same path.

If you want to change the App Paths entry to point to the Monarch Program folder then copy mfwfil32.dll, dzip32.dll and dunzip32.dll there, it should not be a problem, but there is probably little point doing it.

Gareth

Interesting information!  I changed the security on the Monarch.exe app path key to give regular users the same permissions as Power Users as you suggested.  This seemed to resolve the issue although we're still testing.

When we were receiving the error the users were running the application in a TS interactive session.  This doesn't mean the start in issues isn't a cause.  I wonder if we should just copy the DLL into the monarch directory?  Would this create problems or unexpected consequences?

Thanks again for all your help! [/b][/quote]

Rob _

I think the problem may be related to running in Full Security mode on the TS?  I found this article interesting...thought I would post it as a potential resolution.

[url="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/ab91fdf0-bcbd-4df7-976c-6c6784dcdd55.mspx"]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/ab91fdf0-bcbd-4df7-976c-6c6784dcdd55.mspx[/url]

Granting the additional permissions on the registry key has resolved the issue for the users.

Doug Hinchon

We are also having a problem reported as MFWFIL32.DLL missing or incomplete.  In our case we have distributed Monarch version 8 by imaging software.  Users can use the application but my problem is that one of our application needs to invoke monarch by means of a batch job.  It runs monarch.exe with parameters that tell monarch to ppick up a file, and run it into Excel, using a model. I wonder if we need an amendment to our batch file.  It wass et uo originally under Windows 2000 but now we are running on XP.  Can someone please assist, it will be appreciated.

Doug Hinchon

We are also having a problem reported as MFWFIL32.DLL missing or incomplete.  In our case we have distributed Monarch version 8 by imaging software.  Users can use the application but my problem is that one of our application needs to invoke monarch by means of a batch job.  It runs monarch.exe with parameters that tell monarch to ppick up a file, and run it into Excel, using a model. I wonder if we need an amendment to our batch file.  It wass et uo originally under Windows 2000 but now we are running on XP.  Can someone please assist, it will be appreciated.