13 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Patrick 123 RSS

Copying to Clipboard from Summary to include Field Names

Patrick 123

When I copy a Monarch Summary to clipboard and paste to an Excel sheet the field names are blanked out.

Meaning, the target Excel sheet have blank cells in place of the field names.

I am using version 6 on Windows2000 SP4 and Excel 2000 SP3.

Appreciate any input on this, thanks.

P

• Copying to Clipboard from Summary to include Field Names
          Grant Perkins

How are your "Export and Print" options defined?

Monarch 6.00 or 6.01?

Grant

Originally posted by Patrick 123:

When I copy a Monarch Summary to clipboard and paste to an Excel sheet the field names are blanked out.

Meaning, the target Excel sheet have blank cells in place of the field names.

I am using version 6 on Windows2000 SP4 and Excel 2000 SP3.

Appreciate any input on this, thanks.

P /b[/quote]

Patrick 123

Its Monarch 6.00.

Include field names... is ticked.

When I do copy from Table, the field names are showing on the target excel cells. This situation makes me scratch my head.

Thanks again

P

Grant Perkins

Hi Patrick,

I cannot reproduce the problem using my 6.01 installation.

Try downloading and installing the free update as a first step?

[url="http://www.datawatch.com/vortexmlsupport/downloads/monarch_601.exe"]http://www.datawatch.com/vortexmlsupport/downloads/monarch_601.exe[/url]

Grant

Its Monarch 6.00.

Include field names... is ticked.

When I do copy from Table, the field names are showing on the target excel cells. This situation makes me scratch my head.

Thanks again

P /b[/quote]

Patrick 123

Grant,

When you say you can't reproduce do you mean that you are able to include the field names?

Let me try to install 6.01 in the meantime.

Thanks

Patrick

Grant Perkins

Grant,

When you say you can't reproduce do you mean that you are able to include the field names?

Let me try to install 6.01 in the meantime.

Thanks

Patrick /b[/quote]Yes, I get exactly what I have highlighted to be copied from the screen. Field names and contents.

If you are getting the cells but not the contents it seems odd - unless something strange is going on like the font colour is being set to the same as background or the first row fields are being set to numeric rather than text and the contents therefore become null/blank.

Let's see what 6.01 does.

Grant

Patrick 123

Grant,

My Network Admin installed version 7 for me. Now, I can the field names from the summary show up on the excel sheet when I paste. In this version, there is separate option for Clipboard export.

I am not sure if my problem from version 6 is known issue hence the additional export option or the extra option was added for the heck of it.

Thanks.

Patrick

Patrick 123

I am now using version 8.

The question I have now is how to keep the option of including Field names or not with the model or project instead of applying these option as default.

Apparently in version 6, the option whether to include (or not)Field names when copying to clipboard stuck with models, i. e., using one model we can include field names while using different model we can exclude field names without changing the option everytime we open Monarch.

Grant Perkins

Patrick,

V8 should also allow you to save the settings in the model and save your preferred options as the default for use with new models. The Clipboard Options tab should have the information and settings you need. Particularly the "Make these the default settings" option.

Are you running 8.02? (Not an issue for your question as far as I recall but useful to know if looking for specific ways that things work.)

HTH

Grant

Patrick 123

I am using 8.00.

A. In the Cliboard Tab of Export and Clipboard Options, I unticked "Include field names as the first row" option and closed the model (I tried both resaving the model and not), next I re-opened the model but the option did not  stay as previously selected.

B. I did as in A and ticked "Make these the default settings" and closed the model; next I re-opened the model and yes the unticked "Include..." stays unticked but now all my other models had these option un-ticked (which I do not want to happen).

What I wanted to have is different model has different settings whether to include or not include the field names on the clipboard.

I hope this is not asking too much.

Grant Perkins

Hi Patrick,

I must confess that this is not a feature I use so I have just done some experimentation and checking.

Digging out some V6 models may take some time though ...

V8 and V9 both seem to writing the setting back into the Registry if using 'Make these settings the default', hence the situation you see when you change the defaults. This particular setting does not seem to be stored in the model but will be applied to the session. (Or at least that is the way I read the Help file information.)

Did you eventually find a way to work with this in V7?

Grant

Patrick 123

My company jumped from 6 to 8. I didn't know what happened in version 6. I did raise the issue about exporting Summary did not seem to include field names regardless. It might have some relation. Well, I will have to live with this.

Thanks

Grant Perkins

My company jumped from 6 to 8. /b[/quote]Ah.

You mentioned having V7 installed a few posts (and a couple of years!) back, hence my question.

I would guess that storing values in the model would be most important for automation capable tasks (Exports and so on) whereas use of Clipboard Cut and Paste will always be manual so normally a preference for the user will suffice. There are other ways of choosing to include or exclude header lines in the selection to be cut for example. Or one can always include when cutting and then delete unrequired lines after posting.

Having said that it might be something you would feel like adding to the New Features for Monrch thread to ensure it appears for consideration in the future.

Grant

Patrick 123

On version 7, I tried a demo version but the company at that time did not see the extra benefit warrant an upgrade.

On version 8, I suggested the upgrade citing some new benefits (reading more digits on numeric fields) and more open minded CIO. I was suggesting for version 9, but there was no WRAP available (??).

We do a lot of manual cut and paste from various daily reports to excel. In excel, we collate these various source to form a final summary.

In some parts, we accumulate daily data on spreadsheets so we do not need the field names. In some parts, we completely replace daily data on spreadsheets so we don't mind field names.

This is why it would nice to have the preference of the Clipboard export to stick with models and/or project files.

I am not sure if many users have this requirement. I believe this capability is doable in future versions. Right?

Cheers