6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

My summaries sorting options are not saving

Chris J

I'm using Monarch Pro 9.0

I'm hoping that this is just a simple case of "user error"...

I go into my "Summaries" Window and select my Top 50 Losses summary.

Then I edit the sorting options. I change the key field to measure. I hit ok. The layout looks exactly the way I want. I can go back and forth between table/report/summary windows and the layout remains unchanged.

I save the project and the model (I've even saved it as another project/model).

I close Monarch, then open the project again and all my summary changes are missing.

Is it possible that saving the model/project to my personal folder on our network is keeping it from making changes or somehow corrupted the project? I saved it back to my hard drive, but I'm still running into the same issues...

• My summaries sorting options are not saving
          Grant Perkins

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

Your problem certainly does not sound like anything I have experienced other than when I have run a save rather than the 'save as' I intended to use to put a version of a model or project 'somewhere safe'!

You could check the date and time info of the files you have intended to create  - have you simply 'saved as' or did you change the default location for your models (for example.)

Also you should be able to see if the Model/Project information reports the audit entries for the changes you made.

I have assumed these are straight models and there is no need to consider Linked Objects functionality here?

HTH.

Grant

Chris J

Grant,

Thanks for the quick response.

The modification dates on the project/model look like they are updating properly.

I checked the audit trail and I show where the project/models are saving, but I'm not showing the summary changes anywhere...

No linked objects. No archive or read-only mode on the model/project.

Very odd!

The copies won't save either. I'm wondering if the project isn't corrupted. Maybe I should just build another one.

~Chris

Grant Perkins

Chris,

From what you wrote I think all your changes will (or should)  be in the model file. (Have a look at the section on SETTINGS in the help file).

If you save only the model file and then check the audit entries you should see the change to summary reported. (Even when it is open prior so saving it should show a change made in the current session.)

If you save as a new model and then save the project after the model the new project name/location should appear in the project audit.

On a very few and rare occasions I have seen xmod files with lines missing or misplaced in the file which seem to have resulted in obscure problems. Presumably some sort of glitsh between application, operating system and disk when manipulating virtual memory or saving.

A new model (a simple one with examples of one or two of your requirements to save time testing) could be a good idea as a quick and easy way to assess that potential problem.

It all sounds rather odd though.

HTH.

Grant

Chris J

I tried making other changes to the summaries in my project/model and those seemed to work. The changes were saved properly. It's only the sorting format that isn't saving for some reason.

I can see changes on the model audit trail. The changes I make show up as "input encoding" and event is N/A.

I still get the feeling that I'm overlooking something really simple.

The measure that I'm sorting on is a calculated field. It's being sorted in my first summary in Descending order (this one works fine) and Ascending order in the second summary. It's the second summary that won't seem to save. The layout looks great after I make the changes, but when I reopen my project it goes right back to the original layout sorted by customer name.

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Chris J:

The measure that I'm sorting on is a calculated field. It's being sorted in my first summary in Descending order (this one works fine) and Ascending order in the second summary.  /b[/quote]Chris,

Do I understand this correctly that you have two identical summaries which originally would have been sorted by the same key field but which you have changed to (not sort by the jey field and ?) sort by the calculated measure field? One of these sorts in Descending order and work fine, the other in Ascending order but does not work as expected?

If the calculated measure field is the only sort field in both cases the problem you are experiencing does not make sense as you point out.

Let's just check the basics.

You make the change to the sort order.

You can see an entry for a change in the model audit.

You save the model with its original name or a new name.

You save the Project (which should save with the name of the current model in use and its location) and close everything.

You re-open the project. You should now see model you last used before saving the project and the project info audit should also show that. If it is the one you last saved and the times match up then you should have the changes in place.

If not then late's think off-the-wall.

- There is something about the calculation that defies an attempt at an Ascending sort

- There is a glitch in the line(s) of the model file that store the information about THAT sort and that sort only.

Given that everything elses is working or seems to I can't think of much else at the moment.

I can't do much about the first one since I have no feel for the data or the formula but I can check a little about my hypothesis for the second one.

Grant

[size="1"][ July 24, 2007, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

Grant Perkins

Chris,

This may not help you much but ...

I am getting exactly the same result as you on the Ascending sort. Changes revert to sorting by the Key field value.

Works fine if the sort is set to Descending.

So at least you are not going mad or, seemingly missing something basic. Unless we are both going mad or missing something basic.

Anyone out there got a work around?

Grant