5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Printing charts

Bruce _

Monarch 8.00

When priting charts I cannot change the printer to a network printer. The printer dialog says I am pointing to the network printer, but the output is sent to my desktop printer.

Also the print layout is not the same as shown on the screen.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with 8.00?

:confused:

• Printing charts
          Grant Perkins

Hi Bruce,

I have just had a little play with my V8 install and my WiFi network and the print works fine - other than my regular problem of the old Win98 PC I use a printer server mislaying its spool program every few days!

That said I only have the one printer set up and active so the default printer is in fact my network printer from this machine.

What would happen if you have a local default printer defined but try to override that in favour of a network printer I am not sure. Even less sure of what might happen if the selected network pinter was not available - would it outo revert to the local default printer?

Have you checked your printer definitions to ensure that the printer you select is in fact attempting to print to your the network printer rather than you local default (for example?)

There are so many potential differences and specific settings involved with this I am not sure I could add much by further investigation. But in principle it looks like V8 works as intended when printing to a network printer.

Hope this helps in some way.

Grant

• Printing charts
            Bruce _

Grant

Thanks for the comments. I have the default printer on my desk & 2 other printers in the office (one in colour, one high speed) & printing charts from Monarch is the only time I have a problem. Printing anything from Monarch except charts, access, excel, screen-dump and pdf's is not a problem.

When trying to print a chart, Monarch shows the print dialog box, I change to the network and then hit print. The print job shows up in my desk printer!

I will double check when I get in to work, but it seems to be only chart printing that is the issue, so I suspect Monarch.

Ah the joys of trouble shooting!

:confused:

• Printing charts
              Grant Perkins

Bruce,

Something from the far reaches of my memory - it's years since I tried to print a chart ...    

From the Help file ...

"Monarch prints the chart.  Note:  Monarch will only print to your default printer, so if the chart fails to print, select your default printer and print again. "

Hope this helps.

Grant

• Printing charts
                Bruce _

Grant

Thanks again.

So it's a "feature" and not a bug!! I guess I will export & use Excel for graphing.

Regards,

• Printing charts
                  Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Bruce Reed:

Grant

Thanks again.

So it's a "feature" and not a bug!! I guess I will export & use Excel for graphing.

Regards, /b[/quote]Either that or temporarily redefine which is your default printer. I would guess that the charting software may use knowledge of the printer capabilities (via the default's driver) to construct its display   - or something like that.

Changing the printer may, therefore, imply rather a lot of work for the process since charts are prepared automatically alongside the summaries.

Given the options to export to other charting applications if required, and the little use I and perhaps many of us make of charting feature for anything beyond on-screen viewing, I suspect there may be little demand for improved facilities for charting to be added to Monarch, but I could be very wrong of course.

No doubt if there is strong support for enhancement it will be added to the V9 wish list.     

Is it time to start that list?