3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Address capture problems

Sue DeWitt

I've read through some of the recent problems with capturing addresses but none seem to address my problem.

The address can contain 2+ lines.  I can capture the first two lines but I'm having trouble getting the detail from line 3 or greater.  There are no blank lines between the last address line of one record and the first address line of the next.  I'm sure I'm making it more difficult than it really is.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

[font="courier"]                                                                               

Document Number Date      Supplier Name       Site       Address                   Payment Amount Date        Cleared Amount Status   

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Payment Document : FL_EFT_EUR                                 Disbursement Type: Computer Generated                                                                               

789000#### 07-FEB-07 xxxxxxxxxxxxx (ther CERGY PONT ERAGNY PARC                        ##,## 08-FEB-07            ##,##          

BP 249                                                             Cleared   

CERGY PONTOIS 95615                                                                               

France                                                                       

789000#### 07-FEB-07 xxxxxxxxxx xx (ther CERGY PONT ERAGNY PARC                       ###,## 08-FEB-07           ###,##          

BP 249                                                             Cleared   

CERGY PONTOIS 95615                                                                               

France                                                                       

789000#### 08-FEB-07 xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx   L'ARBRESLE RUE LOUIS FOUCRE                   ##,## 09-FEB-07            ##,##          

L'ARBRESLE 69210                                                   Cleared   

France                                                                       

789000#### 09-FEB-07 xxxxxx, xxxxx       HOME       0                                 ###,## 14-FEB-07           ###,##          

LE GRUPON                                                          Cleared   

DIEME 69170                                                                               

France                                                                        /font[/quote]

[size="1"][ March 28, 2007, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Sue DeWitt ][/size]

• Address capture problems
          Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Sue DeWitt:

I've read through some of the recent problems with capturing addresses but none seem to address my problem.

The address can contain 2+ lines.  I can capture the first two lines but I'm having trouble getting the detail from line 3 or greater.   /b[/quote]Sue,

There are two parts to this activity, capturing the address area of the report as a block of text (usually) typically using a MEMO field and a multi-row capture technique. (but there are alternatives if we need them ...)

The second part is to do something with that extracted block to make it into the address data you need.

For the second part ... it's a large subject and much better discussed and explained in the Help files than I can achieve here. Search using the word BLOCK (several useful references) but in particular have a look at the section "Using Address Blocks" which explains everything to do with the complexity of addresses around the world (where it is possible to do so) and and covers the limitations that sometimes apply and thus the reasons for including error codes to report the problems.

Having said that I think, from what you write, you are having difficulties before the Address Block needs to be considered. One slightly confusing aspect of the help referecnes about address blocks is that there are two ways to identify them. The 'Old' way which involved the use of the Postal Trap and the 'New' way which does not rely on the postal trap at all but offers a Wizard to assist with the definition of what is required from a block of multi-row text. I strongly recommend the 'New' method.

Assuming you are trapping your detail template on what look like the first lines of the records (The lines with the Document Numbers) and that all such lines will be trapped (in other the words tha trap is not being selective about which of those lines are trapped.) I would suggest the follwoing.

On that trap line 'paint' a field for just the first line of the address making it wide enough to cover the max width of any subsequent address lines. It looks like that will probably be 23 characters - the number of dashes under the column title.

Right mouse click on the new field to access the field properties (or access them by any of the other methods available) and then open up the Advanced tab.

You will need to set the "End Field On" property to an option that will create a multi-row field which ends at the end of the address. In this case it looks like we could simply accept that the addrees for one record ends and is immediately followed by the next record so 'None of the Above' will work fine. Our field will stop when Monarch identifies that the next line is the first line from the next occurrence of the detail template - the next record.

Once again this is quite a complex area and is covered very well in the Help file.

Chapter1 - Report Window followed by "Creating data extraction Templates" and then "Capturing a Multiline Field".

However be aware that some of the entry to do with Address Blocks immediately above the Multiline Fild entry relates to the 'Old' (Postal Trap)  method which, realistically, will not work as successfully as the new method for many addresses outside North America. It is, in my opinion, best left alone since the 'New' option is preferable.

Information about the Address Block Wizard can be found at the top of the list in Appendix A of the Help file.

Address Blocks are not really difficult to use but it can take a while to 'get your head around it', mainly because of the many common problems that address data usually contains!  Consistent and easily captured addresses are a rarity - especially here in the UK!

I hope this has discussed the problems you are experiencing rather than a different problem altogether. Do let me know if I have missed the specific problem you are having.

Grant

Sue DeWitt

Grant,

Thanks for your help.  It appears that I wasn't following instructions in other posts about the address traps.  I appreciate your patience with those of us who don't "get it" the first time. 

I did have a little trouble with section subtotals from my report.  The mulit-line trap was capturing those lines and sticking them on the end of the addresses.  (The section subtotal  lines weren't captured in the detail trap.)  I set up a couple of footer templates but didn't paint any report fields and that solved the problem.

Thanks again,

Sue

Grant Perkins

Grant,

Thanks for your help.  It appears that I wasn't following instructions in other posts about the address traps.  I appreciate your patience with those of us who don't "get it" the first time.  /b[/quote]I think we have all been in that position at one time or another.    

I did have a little trouble with section subtotals from my report.  The mulit-line trap was capturing those lines and sticking them on the end of the addresses.  (The section subtotal  lines weren't captured in the detail trap.)  I set up a couple of footer templates but didn't paint any report fields and that solved the problem.

/b[/quote]Sounds like a good resolution. Did you try some of the alternative 'End field on' options to see if they offered anything? The dummy footer (or some sort of template) is a good way to ensure that the results will be consistent in the future even if some strange changes occur in the address data for some reason and might otherwise adversely affect the results.

Now you have mastered address blocks some of the other concepts you will come to use should be easier to assimilate as well!

Have fun.

Grant