1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Derived Totals

LARRYG _

How accurate is Monarch Pro v7.02 in creating derived fields? For example, I've created the following

fields:

Pmt Amt  code:IF(Code="N",Pmt,0)

Void Amt code:IF(Code="V",Pmt,0)

Net Amt  code:[Pmt Amt]-[Void Amt]

Record :

Pmt = 500

Code = "N"

Result:

Pmt Amt = 3200

Void Amt = 0

Net Amt = 3200

Most records derive okay, the error occurs at random. If I recreate the field, the problem goes away until I open the report again or choose a different summary. First, I thought it was the summary, but I traced it to the table record. After I edit the field or recreate the field everything appears to be okay. So now I'm concern about how accurate it is.

Thanks.

Larry

• Derived Totals
          Grant Perkins

Hi Larry,

I am not aware of any problems with Monarch calculations other than for people requiring more decimal places or larger numeric fields - but that is rare and not a unique Monarch problem.

However we are dealing with manipulated data here and other things can can have an influence on what is being worked with.

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000470#000010"]This[/url] post from a while back discusses what sound like a similar problem and we went all round the options at the time. However the problem appears to have gone away of its own accord without a complete and definitive resolution recorded for us.

Nevertheless you may find it useful to read. It may prompt some further areas to look at.

Grant

Originally posted by LARRYG:

How accurate is Monarch Pro v7.02 in creating derived fields? For example, I've created the following

fields:

Pmt Amt  code:IF(Code="N",Pmt,0)

Void Amt code:IF(Code="V",Pmt,0)

Net Amt  code:[Pmt Amt]-[Void Amt]

Record :

Pmt = 500

Code = "N"

Result:

Pmt Amt = 3200

Void Amt = 0

Net Amt = 3200

Most records derive okay, the error occurs at random. If I recreate the field, the problem goes away until I open the report again or choose a different summary. First, I thought it was the summary, but I traced it to the table record. After I edit the field or recreate the field everything appears to be okay. So now I'm concern about how accurate it is.

Thanks.

Larry /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ May 19, 2006, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]