1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

PDF Files

Searching _

Hello again!

Is it possible to use Monarch with PDF files?

I have tried but when i open a PDF report the data is all mixed up.

Thanks Fred  tongue.gif[/img]

• PDF Files
          Grant Perkins

Hi Fred,

PDF's are a bit of a challenge and the best approach available currently is either to export them to text files of try a simple cut and paste to achieve the same result. Which method works best depends both on the document and the way it has been created and on your requirements. Obviously cut and paste is OK for a single document (if it works out) but not much help for a batch and not easy to automate.

Exit to a text file is availale within the more recent Adobe products and form a number of third party products. Bu the results can be varuiable from all of them, espceially if the original document makes heavy use of graphics and tables.

In my experience most pdf's based on table formats are likely to be problematic BUT as long as the result keeps the rows of information in rows (not always the case it seems) there are usually some options to extract the fields required following a little bit of Monarch based text line manipulation!

It is difficult to be more specific about this issue without considering a particular requirement since everything depends on how the original pdf has been generated.

If this helps to move you on to the next question please be sure to post it for further responses - several people on here have experiences that may help. You should find some other references in earlier posts as well - a search using "pdf" ought to find them.

I hope this helps for now.

Grant

Originally posted by Searching:

Hello again!

Is it possible to use Monarch with PDF files?

I have tried but when i open a PDF report the data is all mixed up.

Thanks Fred   tongue.gif[/img]  /b[/quote]