1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

| as Fieldefinition

OJGraf _

One of my data line looks like:

|10000135 |  5.330,65 | 12.200,19 |  1.934,82 |    853,33 |    517,94 |

I try to define my fields with the sign "|".

I want to do this because the spaces in the data lines could be in different places.

greetings

Oli

• | as Fieldefinition
          Grant Perkins

Hi Oli,

| is a reserved character (just about the only one that is reserved) for trapping purposes in Monarch.

If you need to read ths 'report' into Monarch as a report file I think you would gain from converting to the | to a different symbol or character using either an editor (vi for example on a Unix system - which may be where this file starts its life?) or the MSRP.EXE utility provided with Monarch.

Alternatively you could treat the file as a delimited file and read it into Monarch as a database (assuming you have Monarch Pro version) and set the | to be the delimiter character. This would be my preferred route and I have used it very successfully in the past.

With luck your lines, which seem to be split into 2 lines?, will read successfully as one line from the original file. If not you will need to use another technique to revert the file to an 'unwrapped' line format before you could load as a database.

I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any further questions you may have about this.

Grant

Originally posted by OJGraf:

One of my data line looks like:

|10000135 |  5.330,65 | 12.200,19 |  1.934,82 |    853,33 |    517,94 |

I try to define my fields with the sign "|".

I want to do this because the spaces in the data lines could be in different places.

greetings

Oli /b[/quote]