3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

data not showing on table

Christina_db _

Hi, I have been trying to fix this issue on my own and through past threads but no luck. I have a variety of multiple lines like this:

A  JOHN DOE     PLAN A

B  JANE DOE       PLAN B

B  JIM  DOE       PLAN B

A  JAKE SMITH   PLAN A

A  JOHN GARCIA  PLAN A

B  JANE GARCIA    PLAN B

B  MARY GARCIA PLAN B

B  TIM  GARCIA  PLAN B

My output table is set with 2 templates. The first template is a page header that pulls the A records and the 2nd template is a detail pulls the B records. They need to be separated because the records are in a different format (there are more columns just not listed). The columns are not aligned. So the output shows this:

JOHN DOE PLAN A JANE DOE PLAN B

JOHN DOE PLAN A JIM DOE PLAN B

JOHN GARCIA PLAN A JANE GARCIA PLAN B

JOHN GARCIA PLAN A MARY GARCIA PLAN B

JOHN GARCIA PLAN A TIM GARCIA PLAN B

The A record that has no B records is not getting populated to the table thought it highlights as if it were going to populate it. How do I fix this?

• data not showing on table
          Grant Perkins

Hi Christina,

Any record you need to extract must exist as a DETAIL. All the other template types only produce any fields when associated with a detail record.

So the A lines have to be detail records if you want them to appear on the report.

I assume an A line must always exist so that is the easy part.

For the B lines it would still be worth investigating if there is any way at all that a single template could give what you want. If not field by field maybe it would work as a 'block' capture that you could then split using calcualted fields and their functions.

Alternatively you could split the process and extract just the 'A's in one process and just the Bs (with an append template to pick up enough of the A data to create a link) and then use an external lookup from one to the other to re-connect them.

There are a number of opportunities to perform some good analysis on this sort of problem but it gets tricky to make meaningful suggestions without being able to assess an original report.

Could you post a full example of the report but with any personal information suitably altered?

Regards,

Grant

Christina_db _

Hi Grant,

There are over 50 columns in the B records, so I am having the end user confirm the columns needed in the output. Meanwhile, here is a sample of the report. As you can see it aligns up to the gender field F on the B record and then does it own columns on the B records. The A and B records are linked by the 123456789 employee SSN field, which connects a family. So another B record (dependent) under employee AM HAPPY would have the same 123456789. Though another employee would come over as its own A record with any corresponding family members with a B record.

Also, I did try by changing it to the A records as the detail and then the B records as the append but not all my B records are displaying (though all the A records are there now), only the first B record and they are 1 line below and then it fills the ones that don't have B records with a B record that should not be there. So as you can tell that I need help there. I hope the sample report helps in you seeing a better picture of my issue.

[font="courier"]AR123456789                                00099999HAPPY           AM               M 1943081220070101          RC002SC003C003    2007010119800818                                                                   11111 MONEY COURT                                 LAS VEGAS      NV89141     1112928645  P566kB06                                                                                C                                                                                ERISA                         A                                                                               

BR123456789                                00099999HAPPY           YOU              F1947021520070101                                        S                                 Y                           C20070101                                                                               

/font[/quote]

Grant Perkins

Hi Christina,

Sorry for the delay - had some phone line problems for a few days and I have also been away so am now trying to catch up.

You are unlikely to get the results with B records as appends - an append trap must come BEFORE its associated Detail trap and I am guessing that it does not (at the moment) in your model.

To work out the best approach for this. I think you may need to treat them all as detail records no matter whether they are A or B types.

However whilst that would solve the extraction of missing lines it may not help you to deliver the records imn the format the user wants to see them.

Do you know what they want to see as the result? I am asking this in particular because you have also asked them which fields they want - which sorto fo suggests they may not yet have told you everything about the 'specification' that you need to deliver the results they want.

Your best approach to the extraction task may well depend on what they want to get as an output.

HTH.

Grant