3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Multi Line Trap

MTAUL _

I am trying to trap data from a multi line report that is in block (vertical) format. The problem is that not all the fields are represented all the time.

Here is a sample of the data notice that in the sencond block of data VEHICLE - PRICE1... is missing. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

BUYER   445593

SOLD   24AUG04

MAKE   CHEV

MODEL   TAHOE

YEAR   04

VEHICLE - PRICE1...   45970.00

SLS1   530

SERIAL-NO   1GNEK13Z94R10

N/U   NEW

BUYER   445720

SOLD   31AUG04

MAKE   CHEV

MODEL   SILV

YEAR   00

SLS1   99

SERIAL-NO   2GCEC19T5Y137

N/U   USED

• Multi Line Trap
          Grant Perkins

You could try this idea.

First I assume that every record starts with the BUYER line - or at least a consistently identifiable first line - and looks pretty similar to the sample.

Then I am going to assume that several of the following lines are always available in each record.

Identify how many lines you have in the SMALLEST record you can find. Use that record for the data sample LINES for your detail template.

Trap on BUYER and paint in the fields that always appear in each record. In this case all of them EXCEPT "VEHICLE - PRICE1".

If these fields always exist in the same line of the record you need do no more. If they can be on diferent lines from record to record, use the Advanced Field Properties to set the Preceding string for the field according to what is there. E.G. SOLD, MAKE, MODEL and so on.

If you can add a field for the "VEHICLE - PRICE1" field on ANY of the lines in the correct horizontal position and without it needing to overlap any of the other fields, do that and set the preceding string accordingly. Do the same with any other fields which do not always appear

IF YOU CAN.

If you cannot avoid a field overlap, create an append template using the same trap and simply add the other fields in to that.

If your minimum size record has too few lines use the append idea to make enough fields to get what you want using multiple appends if necessary.

That should do it. Monarch will populate the occasional fields when they occur and leave them blank when they don't.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Grant

Originally posted by MTAUL:

I am trying to trap data from a multi line report that is in block (vertical) format. The problem is that not all the fields are represented all the time.

Here is a sample of the data notice that in the sencond block of data VEHICLE - PRICE1... is missing. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

BUYER   445593

SOLD   24AUG04

MAKE   CHEV

MODEL   TAHOE

YEAR   04

SLS1   530

SERIAL-NO   1GNEK13Z94R10

N/U   NEW

BUYER   445720

SOLD   31AUG04

MAKE   CHEV

MODEL   SILV

YEAR   00

SLS1   99

SERIAL-NO   2GCEC19T5Y137

N/U   USED /b[/quote]

• Multi Line Trap
            MTAUL _

Grant,

I'm still having some problems with the data leaking to the field below it.

Here is some sample data and the monarch output. Notice that the second block of data doesn't hav e a VEHICLE - PRICE1... but in the monarch output it has the vehicle price from the first block of data. I have a detail trap for BUYER, MAKE, MODEL, SOLD and an append trap for VEHICLE - PRICE1... what am I doing wrong?

BUYER   445593

SOLD   24AUG04

MAKE   CHEV

MODEL   TAHOE

YEAR   04

SLS1   530

SERIAL-NO   1GNEK13Z94R101319

N/U   NEW

BUYER   445720

SOLD   31AUG04

MAKE   CHEV

MODEL   SILV

YEAR   00

SLS1   99

SERIAL-NO   2GCEC19T5Y1378346

N/U   USED

Monarch Output:

04     45970.00     445593 24AUG04    CHEV         TAHOE        (Null) 8/24/2004

00     45970.00     445720 31AUG04    CHEV         SILV         (Null) 8/31/2004

• Multi Line Trap
              Grant Perkins

Is there any way you can bring the Price field in to the main detail template? It would be easier that way since there would be only one template.

Other than that I assume you have the Append template trap set to BUYER?

I will confess I have not set up a test with your sample - but I will now.

Out of interest, which version of Monarch are you working with?

Grant

Originally posted by MTAUL:

Grant,

I'm still having some problems with the data leaking to the field below it.

Here is some sample data and the monarch output. Notice that the second block of data doesn't hav e a VEHICLE - PRICE1... but in the monarch output it has the vehicle price from the first block of data. I have a detail trap for BUYER, MAKE, MODEL, SOLD and an append trap for VEHICLE - PRICE1... what am I doing wrong?

BUYER   445593

SOLD   24AUG04

MAKE   CHEV

MODEL   TAHOE

YEAR   04

SLS1   530

SERIAL-NO   1GNEK13Z94R101319

N/U   NEW

BUYER   445720

SOLD   31AUG04

MAKE   CHEV

MODEL   SILV

YEAR   00

SLS1   99

SERIAL-NO   2GCEC19T5Y1378346

N/U   USED

Monarch Output:

04     45970.00     445593 24AUG04    CHEV         TAHOE        (Null) 8/24/2004

00     45970.00     445720 31AUG04    CHEV         SILV         (Null) 8/31/2004 /b[/quote]