3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Batch file blunders.

Jeff S

Hello,  I appologize ahead of time for being a Monarch "Newbie".  Please forgive me if my questions is too basic.  I have a report/model that contains a run time parameter.  I've got is set to automate with the following batch file script:

X:

cdProgra~1Monarchprogram

Monarch M:PAMClientAAMEOMFilesBankBal.txt M:PAMClientAAMEOMFilesMonarchTemplatesBankBal.mod M:PAMClientAAMEOMFilesExportFilesBankBal.xls

However I would like to know is it possible to include a response to the run-time paremter in this fashion?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Jeff S.

• Batch file blunders.
          Grant Perkins

Hi Jeff,

Welcome and may I say that this doesn't sound like a normal newbie question at all. Not the sort of question I would have been asking when I was a newbie for example. I didn't even look at automation for several months!     

Which version of Monarch are you using?

Is this a user initiated interactive automation or are you scheduling for an automated process with no human intervention?

If it is a fully automated requirement and you have a Monarch Pro version, the easier way of getting a daily variable into play might be to have an external lookup to a file that can be maintained daily as required with the value for the next run. Or maybe even and internal lookup if the selection criteria is something that can be forecast for each run and could be set up with an IF() formula.

Just thinking aloud pending your information.

Hope this helps in some way so far.

Grant

Originally posted by Jeff S:

Hello,  I appologize ahead of time for being a Monarch "Newbie".  Please forgive me if my questions is too basic.  I have a report/model that contains a run time parameter.  I've got is set to automate with the following batch file script:

X:

cdProgra~1Monarchprogram

Monarch M:PAMClientAAMEOMFilesBankBal.txt M:PAMClientAAMEOMFilesMonarchTemplatesBankBal.mod M:PAMClientAAMEOMFilesExportFilesBankBal.xls

However I would like to know is it possible to include a response to the run-time paremter in this fashion?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Jeff S. /b[/quote]

• Batch file blunders.
            Jeff S

Hello,

I'm using Monarch version 6 pro.  I believe the user will be double-clicking on the *.bat file to kick this process off.  They really just wanted to avoid opening reports / models & exporting manually.  I think that there is only a small list of acceptable run-time parameter values (So I think that the value could be forcast with each run). 

Thanks

Jeff S.

• Batch file blunders.
              Grant Perkins

Jeff,

If they kick off the batch run Monarch should pop up on screen and prompt for entries in the runtime field(s) as the report/model combination is opened and then continue in the background.

V7 Pro provides the /set: function for scripts to deliver parameters directly.

The alternative would be to set a simple 'file' with a value that was called as an external lookup to populate a calculated field in the data table. The user would then simple create or amend the file before running the batch job.

I hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by Jeff S:

Hello,

I'm using Monarch version 6 pro.  I believe the user will be double-clicking on the *.bat file to kick this process off.  They really just wanted to avoid opening reports / models & exporting manually.  I think that there is only a small list of acceptable run-time parameter values (So I think that the value could be forcast with each run). 

Thanks

Jeff S. /b[/quote]