4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Mike Urbonas RSS

Mass changing export of summary files.

F77 _

Is there a simple way to change the export path of all the summary files in a project?

I don't see them using a text editor in the project or model file. Registry?

I have some projects that have dozens of summary files and to open and change each one seems a little cumbersome within monarch.

V8.02 Professional.

• Mass changing export of summary files.
          Grant Perkins

The information is in the .xprj file.

How 'safe' it is to do a direct edit I don't know  - it's not something I have tried.

Could be an interesting experiment.

HTH.

Grant

Bill Watson

Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

The information is in the .xprj file.

How 'safe' it is to do a direct edit I don't know  - it's not something I have tried.

Could be an interesting experiment.

HTH.

Grant /b[/quote]I do the search/replace method a lot. It is useful for both moving locally developed models to network drives and also for converting mapped drive letters to full UNC paths to allow projects to be used in Datapump. As long as you are exact with your search criteria for the search/replace I have found there isn't a problem. It obviously bypasses monarch's built in auditing but if that is not an issue for you  then it shouldn't be a problem.

Gareth Horton

Hi all,

There IS an easy way to do this, it can be done via the Monarch Utility, which doesn't seem to be too well known yet.

The Monarch Utility with V8 allows you to do the following:

-Bulk Copy models and projects from one location to another.

-Bulk Convert text models (.mod) and text projects (.prj) to their new XML equivalents (.xmod & .xprj)

-Manage external references in XML models & projects.  This allows you to specify a path and all subfolders and lets you to do a global search and replace on the following:

For Project files - paths to models, paths to reports, paths to export files/folders and database connections.

For Model files - database connections.

-Manage author and descriptions

-Purge Audit Trails

-Prepare files.  This has the following features:

--String replacement (like MSRP, but faster and more powerful).

--Insert line breaks into continous stream files

--Insert line breaks in files greater than 4000 characters per line

--Format EDI files for use with Monarch

So to sum up, you need to run the Monarch Utility and use the "Manage external references in XML models or projects" option.

Gareth

Originally posted by F77:

Is there a simple way to change the export path of all the summary files in a project?

I don't see them using a text editor in the project or model file. Registry?

I have some projects that have dozens of summary files and to open and change each one seems a little cumbersome within monarch.

V8.02 Professional. /b[/quote]

Mike Urbonas

I also wrote a recent tips in The Monarch Report e-newsletter on using the Monarch Utility to manipulate report input files and HTML output - it will give you more ideas on how Monarch Utility can be used:

"Clean Up Input or Output Files with

Monarch Utility" within this issue:

[url="http://www.datawatch.com/pdf/products/monarch/Jul06_Report_Final.pdf"]http://www.datawatch.com/pdf/products/monarch/Jul06_Report_Final.pdf[/url]