9 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Jim R RSS

Export -- speed problem

Becky _

The export function of Monarch has come to a c-r-a-w-l.  I have Monarch version 8.02.  A 12,000 record file went from less than 5 minutes to greater than an hour to "export" to Excel.  When I go directly to the C:drive -- it takes less about 5 seconds!

We upgraded to a new server over the weekend.  I'm not an IT tech, but apparently it was "2000" and now it's a "2003" version; but it really shouldn't have changed anything.

Any thoughts, tips on what I could do to "fix" the problem?

• Export -- speed problem
          Data Kruncher

Becky,

Not to be a master of the obvious, but your network seems to have some throughput issues.    

Until your IT team makes some corrections, I'd continue to export directly to your C: drive and then just copy that file to the server.

Here I go stating the obvious again, but be sure to let IT team know what problem you've encountered. They should have tools to monitor your process's load on the network as you're performing this export. This may help them determine a resolution to the network problem which may improve performance for not just yourself, but the entire office.

Kruncher

Becky _

Our IT dept is aware.  Only Monarch is having any problems.  No one else has seen issues with Access, Excel, etc -- only Monarch exports.

Data Kruncher

I just tried a simple test to see what my results would be. I exported about 12,500 records with nine fields, a mix of numerics and characters, to an xls file on a network drive. It took about 45 seconds. You likely have more fields per record, which increases the export effort.

The same export to the C: drive: about 5 seconds.

I don't think there is anything you can do to improve the network export. I'd stick to export to C: then copying to the network drive. A bit of a hassle, granted, but you'll save lots of time this way.

You could make it easy on yourself and put shortcuts to the source and destination folders on your desktop, then just open the source folder and drag and drop the file onto the destination folder.

HTH,

Kruncher

Grant Perkins

Becky,

Are you exporting with Excel formatting turned on?

If so have you tried the same export with formatting turned off?

Have you tried exporting to Access to see how that performs?

Are you exporting to an existing Excel file or creating a new one?

Do you have Excel installed on your machine?

Just trying to open up some ideas for this as I ave no way of duplicating your environment.

Grant

Becky _

The only change was IT updating the network -- it was technically "invisible" to the user -- same directory structure, drive mappings, etc.  No other software programs seemed to have any change in behavior.

In both instances I was exporting to the exact same network directory/file.  Old network took about 5 minutes; new network takes over an hour.  Absolutely no change in the Excel file being exported.  I can live with the 5 minutes, but the "hour(s)" is too much of any impact -- multipled by the number of files we extract everyday -- and 24 hour days don't cut it.

I recognize the increased speed of going to C:drive -- but that limits the access to "me".  These are files that are created and shared with other people on the network.  I "wish" I could just use my C:drive!  Heaven forbid, we have to get India's approval to even access to our own C-drives anymore! -- modern America.

Becky _

Okay, I've narrowed down my problem.  I've used Monarch for several years, almost always through automated tasks.  Over time I've written the automation with different "versions/styles" of the Monarch export functions.  Apparently at least 2 of my methods were affected by the speed/slow problem I'm having with the network change; but 1 was not affected.

BAD[/b]  -- takes > 1 hour

• using Excel macro/VBA *

MonarchObj.RunExport ("CurWkData")

*export file in the Project/Export is same directory/file as in the other examples shown below *

BAD[/b]  -- takes > 1 hour

• using DOS .bat file on my C:drive *

monarch o:     eams1PR-wkly.xprj o:     eams1WKLY-Payroll.xls /t

GOOD[/b]  -- takes < 5 seconds!!!

• using Excel macro/VBA *

expfile = MonarchObj.JetExportTablePnoaadc-hub01dfsWKLY-TC1000.xls", "Untitled", 0P

P indicates parentheses -- which I don't know how to type in html -- it let me type parenthese in the first example ???

I can change all of my macros to use the JetExportTable function -- but I actually kind of liked building the Project/Export items.

Anyway, if any of you have any solutions for the "bad" project/export or .bat file script -- please let me know.

Jim R

Just a thought

try remapping the drives or use computername     eams1PR-wkly.xprj instead of o:

HTH

Jim

Becky _

Thanks for the thought -- but I already tried remapping the drive; going direct to the full drive root -- still had the same problem.

It's an "oddity".

I may try an "uninstall" and "reinstall" of the Monarch software -- just to see if something gets set in memory at the initial installation. ?

I'm open to any ideas to try?

Jim R

Try looking to see if there are any locks on any of the files.

Also try monitoring your computer with Windows task manager to check the performance. Maybe it's your computer and not the network.

HTH

Jim

[size="1"][ October 27, 2006, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Jim R ][/size]