4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

How do I make this one work????

SDDataconversions _

/size[quote]code:[/size]DATE : 21/02/07                                *** ANU BUILDING BUILDING CENTRE ***                                         Page: 1

TIME : 15:22 TL                                         LIST OF CROSS-INDEX

SEQUENCE: PRODUCT

PRODUCT NUMBER  DESCRIPTION                     SUPPLIER NUMBER AND NAME        HIS NUMBER        DATE   DOCUMENT        LAST COST

-

DISG836B       DISTINCTION GLUECHIP WITH       23872 MDL DOORS                                 14/10/05 158625             141.955

FLOWER LITE ONLY 8 X 36

0001-POO        CASEMENT VINAL WHITE 32 X 32    03327 ALL WEATHER WINDOWS                       16/05/06 293862             222.82

0002-POO        CASEMENT VINAL WHITE 32 X 32    03327 ALL WEATHER WINDOWS                       16/05/06 293862             222.82

0002003         CUTTER L2 OLFA ABSIL 1631       29450*RONA INC. CASHWAY BUILDIN                 06/05/04 RONA                 6.25

88881 CROSS-INDEX #1            091511200102    06/05/04 RONA                 0.00

88888 SUPPLIER PRODUCT          1631            06/05/04 RONA                 0.00

0002011         UTIL CUTTER 300OLFA ABSIL 1101  29450*RONA INC. CASHWAY BUILDIN                 24/02/05 RONA                 4.05

88881 CROSS-INDEX #1            091511100136    15/11/04 RONA                 0.00

88888 SUPPLIER PRODUCT          1101            15/11/04 RONA                 0.00  /QUOTEI would like to output this in a table that looks like this:

PRODUCT# DESCRIPTION SUPPLIER1 HISNUMBER1 LASTCOST1 SUPPLIER2 HISNUMBER2 LASTCOST2 SUPPLIER3 HISNUMBER LASTCOST3

Using actual data from the sameple it would look like this:

0002001 UTIL CUTTER 300OLFA ABSIL 1101 29450 "NULL" 4.05 88881 091511100136 0.00 88888 1101 0.00

Any Thoughts?  Thanks,

• How do I make this one work????
          Grant Perkins

Hi Jeremy and welcome to the forum.

My initial thoughts about your requirement are:

- I have not checked the details but is looks fairly straghtforward to select the fields you want. Once you have a table you can make the column order anything you like, but ...

- the width of the table would be based on the number of suppliers and could vary from one to a very large number - which might prove interesting.

- The concept does not look like it will easily lend itself to a solution working just with the extracted table. However there may be some potential using a Summary. It depends upon the purpose for the output. If you want to export the result to a text file with long lines for which the data structure can be easily identified and read by a data conversion program I could see a way to do it, probably.

If it is for some other purpose then I think I would be more cautious about the structure.

That's the general comment.

A specific question.

Is the line format you seek in need of delimiters of some sort to satisfy your intentions for its use?

HTH.

Grant

SDDataconversions _

Now that I have asked the question.. I am beginning to doubt that what I am looking for is gonna really help me.  The problem I have is that full file is about 101K line long.  To long for excel and I have never enjoyed trying to manipulate data in Access. So I am guess am not sure what I need now...hehe.  I guess what I might do is simply trap out the header and footer of each page and put just information I need into a table it might shorten it enough to get it into excel.  Thanks you have got me thinking about some other possibilities.. and that is what I needed more than anything else.  So far this piece of software has saved me at least 10-12 hours on one particular type of conversion from one POS system to another.  I am pretty estatic about that.  To answer your question, I am indeed tabling the information to be imported in our software with a conversion program.

SDDataconversions _

I have another thought.  Is there anyway to output a table that would have the product # on each line... ie

product1  description supplier1 hisnumber1 lastcost1

product1              supplier2 hisnumber2 lastcost2

Any thoughts?

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by SDDataconversions:

I have another thought.  Is there anyway to output a table that would have the product # on each line... ie

product1  description supplier1 hisnumber1 lastcost1

product1              supplier2 hisnumber2 lastcost2

Any thoughts? /b[/quote]Hehe!

It's all in the way that you come to see things ...

Your suggestion above (but with description on every line) would be a normal extraction to a table from that report format  - so far as I can see. There are couple of possible questions - the "Cross Index" supplier names for example and maybe also the multi line product descriptions but they llok quite simple after a brief glance.

If it was my conversion I would (I think, but I don't know your software's options)treat the columns from the Supplier Number and to the right as the DETAIL template records and the Product Number and Description as 2 fields in an APPEND template.

And that, other than freezing the database at some point prior to running the extraction, should be pretty close to doing the job for you I would imagine.

If that does not sound good to you let me now why and I'll seek an alternative suggestion from my previous conversion experiences if I can!

HTH.

Grant

PS - Are you planning to tidy the data as you go? Or is it more realistic to leave all the codes as they are because there might have been a purpose to them the way they are?

Tidy is good and not difficult usually but may require some careful co-ordination.