5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Monarch won't detect trap after page break

Magnetar _

I'm using Monarch 7.02. I have a fairly simple trap defined. The trap is the word HEADER, which occurrs on line 4 of a 5 line template.

Monarch doesn't see this trap following a page break for some reason.

I've experiemented with the Input options with no success.

I've also noticed that if I make it single line template using the same trap, Monarch finds it just fine. And if I make it a multi-line template with the trap on the first line, Monarch finds this too. These options don't suit my needs, just trying to narrow down the cause of the problem.

So it appears that the cause has something to do with the fact that it is a multi-line template and the trap isn't on the first line.

• Monarch won't detect trap after page break
          Grant Perkins

I think the Page break might be a clue to the anomaly here - is this a page break in the report with a header section or simply a page break in the report or an enforced page break introduced after "x" lines by Monarch?

If this is a genuine page header the upwards line count from your trap line may be problematic unless you have defined the entire (and hopefully consistent) header area as a Page Header template.

There is something from the past niggling away at my mind in this. There may be alternatives.

Grant

Originally posted by Magnetar:

I'm using Monarch 7.02. I have a fairly simple trap defined. The trap is the word HEADER, which occurrs on line 4 of a 5 line template.

I've also noticed that if I make it single line template using the same trap, Monarch finds it just fine. And if I make it a multi-line template with the trap on the first line, Monarch finds this too. These options don't suit my needs, just trying to narrow down the cause of the problem.

So it appears that the cause has something to do with the fact that it is a multi-line template and the trap isn't on the first line. /b[/quote]

Magnetar _

OK, worked around this by setting up a multi-line template with HEADER on the first line of the template. Then going back and capturing the data above HEADER with an append template. Part of the challenge is that the HEADER data may or may not accompany the basic detail.

In the process of working this out, I was wondering why my file would need page breaks at all? I noticed there is a hidden setting: ForcePageBreakLookAhead but I wasn't able to find much information on it either in help or here on the forums.

Magnetar _

This is an enforced page break introduced after 256 lines by Monarch.

You've assisted me before with this report, Grant (back in November). This seems to be a new issue though. Either that, or I just didn't notice it back then.

Thanks to your help, I was able to resolve the other difficulties I was having.

Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

I think the Page break might be a clue to the anomaly here - is this a page break in the report with a header section or simply a page break in the report or an enforced page break introduced after "x" lines by Monarch?

If this is a genuine page header the upwards line count from your trap line may be problematic unless you have defined the entire (and hopefully consistent) header area as a Page Header template.

There is something from the past niggling away at my mind in this. There may be alternatives.

Grant

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Originally posted by Magnetar:

So it appears that the cause has something to do with the fact that it is a multi-line template and the trap isn't on the first line. /b[/quote][/b][/size][/QUOTE]

Grant Perkins

Here is the text from the Help file.

The result should allow some control over the automatic page break setting (Not applicable usually when using  a "Page Header" template) in order to try to control the required maximum 256 line page setting to a lesser value (via Options) but with a 'floating' break point which applies at a blank line rather than in the middle of a record set of lines.

(Obviously if the report has no blank lines the over ride will not be much use though.)

The opportunity to define a regularly recurring set of characters as defining a Page Header in a template is probably a better way to go if possible.

I hope this helps.

Grant

==================================================

ForcePageBreakLookAhead

This setting modifies the behavior of the Force Page Break After Lines setting described under the Input Options dialog.  This setting instructs Monarch to insert a page break on a blank line, so that it doesn’t interrupt a block of data.  For example, with Force Page Break After 60 Lines and ForcePageBreakLookAhead=10, Monarch inserts a page break at the first blank line it finds after line 50 (60-10).  If no blank line exists before line 60, Monarch will insert the page break at line 60.

Location - Settings

Format - ForcePageBreakLookAhead=n

n = number of lines to look ahead for a blank line.

===================================================

OK, worked around this by setting up a multi-line template with HEADER on the first line of the template. Then going back and capturing the data above HEADER with an append template. Part of the challenge is that the HEADER data may or may not accompany the basic detail.

In the process of working this out, I was wondering why my file would need page breaks at all? I noticed there is a hidden setting: ForcePageBreakLookAhead but I wasn't able to find much information on it either in help or here on the forums. /b[/quote]

Grant Perkins

Ah!

I remember now (December seems to be one of those months when previously used memory is erased ...   )

Didn't have 256 lines in the sample back then so it would not have come up as an issue I guess.

Quite a challenging report - plenty of opportunities for what looks like a good solution to throw up a few subtle glitches! Needs careful checking after each change. Might be worth looking at the potential for creating an analysis model to to see if there is a way of pre-defining a generic check for probable inconsistencies. For example a record that seems OK but a particular field either lacks data when it should always be populated or has data of an invalid type or format.

Just a thought.

Grant

This is an enforced page break introduced after 256 lines by Monarch.

You've assisted me before with this report, Grant (back in November). This seems to be a new issue though. Either that, or I just didn't notice it back then.

Thanks to your help, I was able to resolve the other difficulties I was having.

/b[/quote]