3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by ann _ RSS

Monarch command line

ann _

I am new to trying to automatic my monthly downloading projects. I have tried typing in the example given in the help book where you open the classic.prn file. I can only get monarch to open and everything else fails. Can anyone help me out.

I am wondering if the product was installed correctly.

• Monarch command line
          Bob Yarnall

I’m not a pro at scripting, but this one works for me as a VB script.

Use Notepad to edit and then save as a .vbs file.

[font="courier"]Set MonarchObj = CreateObject("Monarch32")

openfile = MonarchObj.SetLogFile("c:monarch eportsVBS.LOG",False)

openfile = MonarchObj.SetProjectFile("c:monarchPublishDaylight.prj")

If openfile Then

MonarchObj.ExportTable("c:MonarchExportDaylite.xls")

end if

Monarchobj.closealldocuments

Monarchobj.Exit

Set Monarchobj = Nothing[/font][/quote]

• Monarch command line
            Grant Perkins

Ann,

Which book? Which version of Monarch?

Are you trying to use EXACTLY the same line as in the book or the basis of the line adapted to where the files are located in your system?

Note the use of the quotes to enclose the path and file names. Almost always required in Windows systems to cope with long file names and folders with spaces in the names. (Not a problem back in DOS days when the script technology was originally developed since spaces and long names were not allowed anyway!)

And one small error - very easy to make, very difficult to spot it yourself I find, like proof reading a letter for typos is difficult - will prevent the command from working. Sounds horrible but it's not really that bad. Just takes a little special care, patience and experience so persevere and you will get there. Once you get it to work once any subsequent scripts are a lot easier since you can probably just copy and edit a little.

The VB route suggested by Bob is more powerful. But the issues about accuracy are the same and the quote marks still have to be used as you can see from Bob's sample.

I hope this helps a little.

Grant

Originally posted by ann:

I am new to trying to automatic my monthly downloading projects. I have tried typing in the example given in the help book where you open the classic.prn file. I can only get monarch to open and everything else fails. Can anyone help me out.

I am wondering if the product was installed correctly. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ August 26, 2004, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Monarch command line
              ann _

Thanks for all the help. I of course did have one of those typos. I have my program all ready to go and like the autoscript very much.