7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Steve Bromley RSS

Monarch via COM in Java

Steve Bromley

I'm researching the interface of Monarch into one of our Java applications using the COM-Bridge provided by IBM's Alphaworks on their website.

I do have the Monarch Programmers guide and have been trying to translate between Visual Basic and Java.  To obtain the Monarch Object I need to load against "Monarch32".  Is that an actual object, and if so, where does it exist? If not, what is the actual object name that is contains it.

I am using Monarch 6.01

• Monarch via COM in Java
          Gareth Horton

Steve

Monarch32 is the registered COM name of Monarch and is what you need to invoke it, i.e.

in VB:

Set oMyMonarchObject = CreateObject("Monarch32")

This is registered with COM, which looks to the Monarch executable to perform the relevant tasks.

If you search the registry for Monarch32 you will see the COM entries there.

Remember that the Monarch executable will actually load to perform the tasks required, it is not like calling functions from a DLL.

Hope this helps

Gareth 

Originally posted by Steve Bromley:

I'm researching the interface of Monarch into one of our Java applications using the COM-Bridge provided by IBM's Alphaworks on their website.

I do have the Monarch Programmers guide and have been trying to translate between Visual Basic and Java.  To obtain the Monarch Object I need to load against "Monarch32".  Is that an actual object, and if so, where does it exist? If not, what is the actual object name that is contains it.

I am using Monarch 6.01 /b[/quote]

Steve Bromley

It helps some.  Does anyone have a working example of this?  An example would wou

I am not familiar with C++ and COM programming.

Steve Bromley

Gareth,

When I explore some DLL's with the Java-Com bridge program, I see methods that can be exposed via that tool. 

I have explored all the objects in the Monarch/Programs directory looking for something that will expose the methods that I need and haven't been able to find any object that contains the necessary methods.

What object should I be looking at that would contain the necessary methods?

Steve

Nick Osdale-Popa

I believe the file at

C:Program FilesMonarchProgrammonarch.tlb

exposes all the methods/properties of Monarch.

Steve Bromley

Thank you for the response.  The JavaCom Bridge program doesn't see anything inside that either. 

Has anyone successfully gotten Monarch to work via COM from Java? If so, how?

I don't want to continue to beat my head against a wall if I am attempting something that isn't going to work.

Gareth Horton

Steve

I tried the proxy generator with the latest Java Com bridge app (bridge2java.exe from IBM and it worked fine.

I used the tlb that Nick referred to in a previous post.

It generated 2 files,

_DMonarch.java

Monarch.java

I don't know what these do, as I am not a Java programmer.

I can e-mail them to you if you like.

Gareth

Originally posted by Steve Bromley:

Thank you for the response.  The JavaCom Bridge program doesn't see anything inside that either. 

Has anyone successfully gotten Monarch to work via COM from Java? If so, how?

I don't want to continue to beat my head against a wall if I am attempting something that isn't going to work. /b[/quote]

Steve Bromley

I would love to see what results you received.  I did not get any _DMonarch.java file. 

Could you please send them to:

sbromley@erac.com[/email]