2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Overlapping Fields

NewbieInIreland _

I am very new to Monarch and I'm sure that this is a simple question for all you experts but....I have a report with an address on it which looks like this:-

ID     Name    Address1    TelNo

Address2

Address3

The problem is that not everyone has a 3 line address so the next line could look like this:-

Address2

In which case the trap for Address3 carrs on to the next record, which is wrong. There is nothing else on this report just about 2000 records of which quite a few of the addresses are wrong. Can anyone help as I have been trying this for ages and I haven't got anywhere yet!!!

Thanks in advance!!

• Overlapping Fields
          NewbieInIreland _

The address lines 2 and 3 are directly underneath the address1 in a column type format, if this make any difference.

• Overlapping Fields
            Grant Perkins

Hi,

Suggestions.

Check out the help files for Postl Trap and Address blocks - more in there than I can write here! (Also varies a little depeding on which veriosn of Monarch you are using). These may help but it will depend on the format and consistenty of your data.

Failing that, base your template on the FIRST line of the record only.

Where you have the Address 1 field select the full width (I assume that it will be something like 25 to 30 chars per address line)of the field available for any of the address lines.

Right click on the field you are defining and go to the properties. Advanced proporties will allow you to set paramters that will make the field a multi line field. Chose an appropriate "End field on" value - probably "Blank Field Values", "End of Left Justification" or "None of the above" (Last is V7 text, something slightly different if using V6 or earlier)

That will give you a set of fields containing a variable number of lines according to what is found on the report.

TIP: before saving your model - with named fields and so on - it is worth ensuring that you have at least one record in your sample report that hs at least as many address lines as the maximum number of lines ever likely to be found in an address since the number of fields will be dynamic and extra field may apprear in later reports if you base you model on, say, a report having only 2 line addresses ..

I hope this helps and offers some useful ideas to follow up.

Grant

Originally posted by NewbieInIreland:

I am very new to Monarch and I'm sure that this is a simple question for all you experts but....I have a report with an address on it which looks like this:-

Address2

Address3

The problem is that not everyone has a 3 line address so the next line could look like this:-

Address2

In which case the trap for Address3 carrs on to the next record, which is wrong. There is nothing else on this report just about 2000 records of which quite a few of the addresses are wrong. Can anyone help as I have been trying this for ages and I haven't got anywhere yet!!!

Thanks in advance!! [/b][/quote]