5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Excel Import into Monarch

Grasshopper _

I am trying to import an excel file into Monarch and for some reason Monarch is blending all of the columns in excel together.  Does anyone know how to import Excel files into Monarch while maintaining the Excel format.  I have tried the Delimited and normal text and neither works.

• Excel Import into Monarch
          Grant Perkins

Hi Gerald and welcome to the forum.

From what you wrote is it safe to assume you have the Pro version of Monarch (your profile is not explicit about that) and you are opening the Excel file as a Database?

If so I would have expected you to be able to identify a worksheet or Name in Excel and for it to recognise the columns as fields and ask you which ones you want to import.

I'm not aware of a way to open an xls file as a 'report'.

The only other approach I can think you might be using is to have exported the Excel data into a delimited file (you mention delimited) in which case you need to tell the import engine what the delimiter is if it is not the default - usually comma. (.csv file) but alternatively tab (.tab file but it could be something else and the file name does not necessarily have to be a .csv or .tab name.

Does this prompt any thoughts?

Grant

Grasshopper _

Thanks for responding to my post Grant. 

You are correct.  I have the pro version of Monarch. 

If I am attempting to open the file as a database, do I need to save it in a special format?

Originally posted by Grant Perkins:

Hi Gerald and welcome to the forum.

From what you wrote is it safe to assume you have the Pro version of Monarch (your profile is not explicit about that) and you are opening the Excel file as a Database?

If so I would have expected you to be able to identify a worksheet or Name in Excel and for it to recognise the columns as fields and ask you which ones you want to import.

I'm not aware of a way to open an xls file as a 'report'.

The only other approach I can think you might be using is to have exported the Excel data into a delimited file (you mention delimited) in which case you need to tell the import engine what the delimiter is if it is not the default - usually comma. (.csv file) but alternatively tab (.tab file but it could be something else and the file name does not necessarily have to be a .csv or .tab name.

Does this prompt any thoughts?

Grant /b[/quote]

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Gerald:

If I am attempting to open the file as a database, do I need to save it in a special format?

/b /quoteHi Gerald,

Monarch should be able to open your Excel file as it is. If you use the Open Database option just browse to the file using the file selection window and take it from there.

You will be asked a few more questions before the file is opened for full access to the data but I think they should be self explanatory (or check out the Help available.)

You can't damage anything so it's safe to experiment - but if you want to do so using a copy of the original it might offer some extra comfort. 

If you cannot open the file for some reason hopefully you would see an error code which may help to diagnose the reason.

Let us know how you get on. If nothing works there are a few experienced Monarch/Excel users on the forum who may have a good suggestion or two.

HTH.

Grant

Grasshopper _

Thanks Grant,

I have now successfully opened my Excel database in Monarch. Can you tell me how to subtotal the database?

Thanks

Gerald

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Gerald:

I have now successfully opened my Excel database in Monarch. Can you tell me how to subtotal the database?

/b[/quote]My initial response would be to use a summary or, if you want to see the data grouped in different ways,  a number of summaries.

If you have already looked at summaries and they don't seem to offer what you need you may need to expand a little on what you are seeking to achieve since there are a number of options.

However I am a little curious about why you have not used Excel for your subtotal requirement - I assume there is more to this than meets the eye!

HTH.

Grant