11 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Louis Angelopoulos RSS

Weird Automation Error

Tom Willis

Sorry my first post and I didn't mean to reply to another thread.

Anyway.

Hello I recently inherited a project that uses Monarch via ole automation.

In our production environment right now, Monarch after some time will refuse to run. And the only way we've managed to fix it is by uninstall/reinstall.

The error we get is "Activex Can't Create Component" for Monarch32.

A short vbscript run on the box confirms this.

However, I don't get the error for around 120 seconds. I can look in task manager and monarch.exe does indeed show up and peg 1 of the cpus, but eventually dies, and I get the error. So I don't think it's a registration issue

We can't keep reinstalling , so I'm hoping there's a better solution.

The code to call monarch looks to be almost straight out of the example in the documentation. Nothing fancy.

Monarch is being called by a service, and what I suspect is that when we hit the box through remote desktop to verify that Monarch launches, it does. But starts to fail with a DCOM timeout error once all remotedesktop sessions have terminated.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

• Weird Automation Error
          Grant Perkins

Hi Tom,

Wild guess as I have no experience of using Monarch in a network installation.

Is your licence based on concurrent users?

The re-install things seems odd - almost like the user count is incrementing and never/not always decrementing. I assume the 'current user count' info would be replaced and reset by the re-installation.

Just a thought, having seen similar situations with other products under certain circumstances.

Grant

PS - as the author you can delete unwanted posts - if you edit the post there is a delete tick box in the black bar above the "Message Icon:" box.

Originally posted by Tom Willis:

Sorry my first post and I didn't mean to reply to another thread.

Anyway.

Hello I recently inherited a project that uses Monarch via ole automation.

In our production environment right now, Monarch after some time will refuse to run. And the only way we've managed to fix it is by uninstall/reinstall.

The error we get is "Activex Can't Create Component" for Monarch32.

A short vbscript run on the box confirms this.

However, I don't get the error for around 120 seconds. I can look in task manager and monarch.exe does indeed show up and peg 1 of the cpus, but eventually dies, and I get the error. So I don't think it's a registration issue

We can't keep reinstalling , so I'm hoping there's a better solution.

The code to call monarch looks to be almost straight out of the example in the documentation. Nothing fancy.

Monarch is being called by a service, and what I suspect is that when we hit the box through remote desktop to verify that Monarch launches, it does. But starts to fail with a DCOM timeout error once all remotedesktop sessions have terminated.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. /b[/quote]

• Weird Automation Error
            Tom Willis

Thanks for the reply Grant.

I'll look into what our license is. I don't believe it's setup as a network install but anything is possible at this point.

• Weird Automation Error
              Grant Perkins

Hi Tom,

Not sure why I assumed a network installation - you mentioned somethnig about 'one of the cpu's' so I guess I made the jump to network.

Could it be a multi-cpu server though? And which version of Monarch are you running?

Grant

Originally posted by Tom Willis:

Thanks for the reply Grant.

I'll look into what our license is. I don't believe it's setup as a network install but anything is possible at this point. /b[/quote]

• Weird Automation Error
                Tom Willis

yeah it's a 4 cpu server.

The version that's running is 6.01.

It's installed under the same account. that the service runs under.

It's not a network install I don't believe the team that manages production tells me they just run the regular install.

I ran a profile on it yesterday and the last dll it loaded before dying was C:Program FilesMonarchProgramDZIP32.DLL

I don't think this dll is the problem, but someone with access to the source code may find it useful in determining where monarch is in the startup when it decides to die.

• Weird Automation Error
                  lmeyers _

We are encountering similar Monarch32 ActiveX automation error with v6 called from Access XP application. After 2 years of trouble free operation, problem appeared out of blue with no configuration changes on this production server machine. Reinstalling application seems to resolve issue temporarily, however reoccurrs few days later. Tried implementing suggestions in MS KB, but problems persist.

We are in networked environment using terminal server, but only one user executes at any given time. Automation error appears to be specific to select users and for those that encounter automation error they are also unable to launch monarch.exe--can see the process churning at 25% cpu utilization but interface never loads.

Any suggestions?

• Weird Automation Error
                      Louis Angelopoulos

We have been having the same exact issue trying to call Monarch from both Reflections, Excel, it does not matter.  We have to reinstall Monarch v 9 over and over and over again.  Also, we HAVE tried v 9.01, same issue.  We've had this issue ever since 6, and it looks like it is not resolved.  Does anyone have any new information on this?

Thanks,

Louis

• Weird Automation Error
                          RalphB _

Hi Louis,

I receive the same error message from time to time running my vb scripts using Monarch 8.02 Pro Network.  Most of my scripts are in Excel, some in VBS or MSAccess.  What I do is re-start the script and it runs fine. I did have Monarch re-installed a couple of times but the problem did not go away.  What seemed to be a better fix it is a re-install of Windows. Better yet, talk IT into giving you a new machine.  I have at times put a pause (wait) command right above the offending line and that seems to help.  You might have to play around with the length of time for the best result.

I don't think the problem is with Monarch, I believe it is a Windows problem. Some times when I receive this message, Windows wants to send an error message to Microsoft.  I usually ignore it and move on.  A couple of times I have looked at it and it lists a long list of Microsoft programs, drivers, or whatever in it that is causing a problem.  Most of them are Microsoft products.

HTH

Ralph

• Weird Automation Error
                              Louis Angelopoulos

1. I only have this problem with the Monarch object, no other object poses this problem.

2. We have 4 single license copies of pro monarch, and they all do this, on all machines. 

3. The problem is intermittent:  It does not occur in the same places at the same times.

4.  I will try the wait you have mentioned to see if this rectifies the situation.

• Weird Automation Error
                                  Louis Angelopoulos

It is still an intermittent problem.  I have put in wait commands before each step (everything from 1 second to 2 minutes) and it still gets the automation error at some points in time.   Is anyone else still having this problem?  This problem occurs with any macro on any machine, but never at the same place and time.  It causes me to think that it is a bug that has not been rectified.  If I reinstall monarch it fixes it for a couple of days - sometimes.  This time that did not work.

• Weird Automation Error
                                      Bruce _

Are the input files getting very large? Once the input tables get too big (around 1-2 G) Monarch gets a bit strange.

As I understand it the reason is the size of the internal database (which is somehow based on access style tables) that Monarch uses to calculate filters, sorting and calculated fields.

My way around was to use 9.01 pro and normalize the data base so I did not pull in as much data through the main input.

This is a shot-in-the-dark, I don't promise that this is the problem, but something to investigate.

• Weird Automation Error
                                          Louis Angelopoulos

No, the file sizes are tiny, around 200k.

I sometimes pull data from a database but it's only from tables that have 200 or less records to view.  If I need to lookup data, I use DTS packages that build custom small tables for Monarch to work with.  I am also using 9.01 pro.

Thanks

Tony