3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Maximum line length for fixed width .txt file in Monarch v9

kmpirish _

Hello,

I see that the maximum line length for .txt files exported from Monarch v8 is 255 characters.  Does Monarch v9 have this same limitation?  I can't seem to find anything on this subject in the FAQs and PDFs Datawatch is putting out for v9.

Of course, my export needs to be 290 characters per line :/

Thanks,

Kate

• Maximum line length for fixed width .txt file in Monarch v9
          Grant Perkins

Originally posted by kmpirish:

Hello,

I see that the maximum line length for .txt files exported from Monarch v8 is 255 characters.  Does Monarch v9 have this same limitation?  I can't seem to find anything on this subject in the FAQs and PDFs Datawatch is putting out for v9.

Of course, my export needs to be 290 characters per line :/

Thanks,

Kate /b[/quote]Kate,

I don't remember that as a limit on the line width of an export file (other than for the PREP utility which specifically limited to that value for very practical reasons, given what prep was intended to do.)

There are other limits related to field widths, number of fields and things which work around that sort of number.

Can you provide a source for the info - I have not been able to spot it in the Help file.

On the other hand if you are looking for a reason to upgrade to V9 I could provide a good long list ...

Grant

kmpirish _

Actually, I got my info here:

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001128#000002"]forum post about maximum data size[/url].

Now that I'm rereading that post more slowly, it doesn't seem to specifically to deal with what I am experiencing.

Nevertheless, each line of the export does wrap at precisely the 255 position.  I was wondering if this was possibly a Microsoft thing, but Access didn't wrap the lines when I exported from there.

Hmmmm....

Grant Perkins

Hi Kate,

Well, I just pulled on a txt file of mine (a Monarch export) which is 260 characters wide, Created a temlpate for 2 fields of 200 wide to pick the entire row, then exported it to a txt file. No problem. If I open it in Monarch it's fine.

If I open it with something like Notepad it will wrap based on Notepad's saved sizes and I think Notepad, for example along with other viewing applications, also has a max width setting for the window, after which it wraps data on the the next line.

So I guess the test is to check what the file looks like in Monarch when opened as a txt report.

If nothing suggests itself it might be worth listing the steps you are taking (from Exporting w 'whatever' through to how you are checking the results) to see if it prompts any ideas.

Whatever you are seeing it is not, so far as I am aware, a fundamental limit of Monarch in terms of straight exports resulting in text file creation.   :confused: 

Grant