4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Monarch Template

Jeramie _

i am trying to use multiple templates and after i get to 12 i am not allowed to us any more templates.  I was setting up a template for each field that is defined with Entry being the header.  Maybe i am going at this report the wrong way please give me some feedback. 

Sample data is below

Entry: 123

field1: 123214

field2: 1232145r

fieldxyz: 123213

field5: 123123

field7: 11231

field8: 123213

endofrecord:

Entry: 123455

field2: 1232145r

fieldxyz: 123213

field5: 123123

field10: 123213

field15: 2133878

endofrecord:

Entry: 123455

field15: 2133878

Field16: 123314

endofrecord:

• Monarch Template
          Grant Perkins

Hi Jeramie and welcome to the forum.

Monarch  8 does indeed restrict you to 12 Templates although as a restiction it has not been a problem for most requirements most of the time.

There are other approaches to the problem usually but I am interested to know if you have a specific reason to want treat each field as a separate template.

Normally this sort of record would most likely be a detail based on the "Entry" field and with any other fields associated with it captured as part of the detail record.

I am assuming that you have quite a large number of possible 'other' fields so a few unusual ideas may be required.

TWo initial questions;

Do you know how many different fields there might be in a full report which reported all the different types?

What is the MINIMUM number of lines for a record underneath the "ENTRY:" line until you reach the next "Entry" line?

There was a recent post which I think required the same sort of approach that your problem requires. I will look it up and post a reference to it here.

Grant

• Monarch Template
            Jeramie _

there are about 50 different fields that can be under each Entry: sometime the Entry: will have 2 and the next time it will have 20.  At a min it should have 4 fields under Entry: all the time.  The reason i was creating a seperate template each time was to seperate out the fields.  That was my only reasoning for that.

• Monarch Template
              Grant Perkins

Ok. The numbers sound a little tight and you may need all possible templates to get a result.

The idea is to set up a detail template trapping on the ENTRY tag. Make the template SAMPLE the same number of lines as the SMALLEST number of lines (include any available blank lines) that might possibly exist in a record. The actual data in the sample does not matter at all for this exercise.

Grab the ENTRY field on that line and in the lines below select one of the 50 other fields, paint a field of the right length in the right horizontal position on a line. RIght clisk to get to the field properties and set the 'Start field on' setting to "Preceding Sting: <field tag>" where Field Tag is the descriptive string that seems to appear before the data in your sample. e.g. 'field1', field2' etc.

Put one field on each line, the order does not matter. If any the fields could be horizontally positioned on a line without overlapping make use of that - it will help with the numbers.

Once that template is filled create an append template using the same sample size and trap. Add some more of the fields using the same idea - you won't need the "Entry" field of course so you have an extra line per template to play with.

Keep adding templates until all the fields have been defined or you run out of templates again! If you run out of templates before all the fields are defined we have a problem.

You may find it useful to do the first template and then check that things are working as you want them to.

I hope this makes sense. If not let me know and I will try to expand on it later.

The previous post I mentioned earlier is relevant but the description covers other ground not pertinent here so I though it easier to re-write the process. Hope I got it right.

Let us know how you get on.

Grant

• Monarch Template
                Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Jeramie:

i am trying to use multiple templates and after i get to 12 i am not allowed to us any more templates.   /b[/quote]Jeramie,

Hopefully you won't be left with a problem but if you do need more templates there are a few more available now in the just released Monarch Version 9.

Just thought I would mention it in case it helps.

Grant