4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by HSKURA _ RSS

Problems trapping data

HSKURA _

I used Monarch 6.0 many years ago and haven't had a need until recently.  I purchased the 8.02 version. 

I am having problems trapping data from a txt file.  The file stores data every hour for a telephone system.  The same data that is stored every hour is also summarized at 9 pm daily.  I only care about the summarized data.  The only way I can tell the difference between the hourly and daily is a line in the report "DAILY TOTALS REPORT".  Once I encounter this, I would like to capture the data directly below it.  The problem is, that everytime I trap the needed data, it grabs both the hourly and daily and it grabs the data above instead of below, attaching the wrong date.  See below (sorry the column formatting didn't copy over very good)

ACD 000   2006 04 05   21:00

REPT 2

ACD     CALLS  RECALL ANSWERED  ABANDONED      TOF TOF  OVER    INTER 

DN    ACCPTED  TO    LONGEST   NO. AVG.WT TSF IN  OUT  FLOW    FLOW  

SOURCE WT. TIME                                  BUSY

5000         0      0        0    0  ****    0   0   0     0       0

5120         0      0        0    0  ****    0   0   0     0       0

4800         8      0       12    0  ****  100   0   0     0       0

-

3          8      0       12    0  ****  100   0   0     0       0

DAILY TOTALS REPORT

REPT 2

5000         0      0        0    0  ****    0   0   0     0       7 I

4800       288      0       60    8     5   94   0   0     0       1 I

-

3        288      0       60    8     5   94   0   0     0       8 I

• Problems trapping data
          Grant Perkins

Originally posted by HSKURA:

[font="courier"]ACD 000   2006 04 05   21:00

REPT 2

5000         0      0        0    0  ****    0   0   0     0       0

4800         8      0       12    0  ****  100   0   0     0       0

-

3          8      0       12    0  ****  100   0   0     0       0

DAILY TOTALS REPORT

REPT 2

5000         0      0        0    0  ****    0   0   0     0       7 I

4800       288      0       60    8     5   94   0   0     0       1 I

-

3        288      0       60    8     5   94   0   0     0       8 I /font[/quote][/b][/quote]I think the best way would be to capture all of the lines but include and append template that grabs the headers, in particular the second line with the report title you can use to identify the section you want.

Now if the report had a tital for the other parts (appears not from your sample) it would be easy to use the second line and then use that as a filter on the table to retain only lines you want.

It may still be as simple as that unless you have other purposes for the detail in the header lines and the variable number of lines in the header then becoame a secondary problem!

There are ways of dealing with that as well which I will outline if it is a problem for you. Hopefully it won't be but please let use know either way.

HTH.

Grant

• Problems trapping data
            HSKURA _

Thanks Grant for replying.  I am still stuck. 

I trapped for the lines 4800, 5120 and 5000, etc a detail template.  Works great. but then when I add a append template to capture the date and time and another append to capture the words "Daily Totals Report" - it actually appends it to the preceding rows.  for example.

The first 4800 line with 8 in the first column, actually gets the Daily Totals Report line appended to it and it shouldn't. 

It seems as though the append is appending up the report instead of down.  There is no way I can identify the detail hourly lines (5000, 5120, 4800) separately from the Daily lines unless some how I can get the "Daily Totals Report" to append correctly.

• Problems trapping data
              Grant Perkins

The append problem sounds like you have found an interesting feature! I would guess that it is something to do with the way you have defined the append but I can't imagine what. A footer append comes to mind but that would not leave the 4800 line as the only line with the text appended.

No matter really since you may only need one append anyway.

Use the append you have for the data and time. Make the data SAMPLE 2 lines (if it is not already). On the second line paint a field large enough to hold the text you need to separate the main report lines (2nd Line of the Append will be "REPT 2") from the summary (2nd line will be "DAILY TOTAL REPORT"). If there are no other options in the reports a single character would be enough ...

Now use that field to filter so that only the DAILY TOTAL REPORT lines are left.

If that does not work as completely as you need there are more approaches available.

Let us know how you get on.

Grant

• Problems trapping data
                HSKURA _

I did as you indicated and it worked.

I deleted the append template for Daily report.  I then modified the Date Time append and increased the trap to 2 lines.  I drew a field 75 wide on the blank space and named it blank. 

Now I can filter on whether the blank field has the words Daily Totals Report.

Thanks for the help.  It is funny how little we communicated but yet you understood my problem!!