10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Detail Trap problem

Bill Kinkead

I am trying to create a detail trap. I have tried setting up the detail as Alpha or Number, but my problem is there is a line in the body that has TOS: 1   - Medical Services. I have already created a trap for that. I tried just creating a numeric trap, but the field I was trapping has alpha characters on it. I can attach a simple copy of the report if need be.

thanks!

Bill

• Detail Trap problem
          Grant Perkins

Bill,

Can you find anything else in the line you want to trap that is unique or gives you a combination that would be unique? Be sure to check the whole line.

Could you trap for the template on a different line without compromising you ability to map the field you want from your detail section?

If niether of the above, could you accept the trap picking the lines you don't want and then filter those records out of the table?

A few ideas that come to mind  - but if none of those (or any other suggestions that appear) hel you then please do post the problem sample for further opinions. If you use the UBB "CODE" button you should be able to paste the report sample betwen the two tags it creates. That should retain the format.

(If you don't want to go public send me a private message and I will provide contact details)

Grant

Originally posted by Bill Kinkead:

I am trying to create a detail trap. I have tried setting up the detail as Alpha or Number, but my problem is there is a line in the body that has TOS: 1   - Medical Services. I have already created a trap for that. I tried just creating a numeric trap, but the field I was trapping has alpha characters on it. I can attach a simple copy of the report if need be.

thanks!

Bill /b[/quote]

• Detail Trap problem
            Bill Kinkead

Grant,

Thanks for your message. I have tried trapping everything and then just filtering it all out, but my trap does not seem to work. The one column has alpha numeric data and the others just have numeric. I am at a loss to why its not picking up everything so I can just worry about it after I get it in the template.

• Detail Trap problem
              Grant Perkins

Bill,

This sort of sounds like you might be a bit too close to the problem and need to step back a ways, if you see what I mean.

For example. Is "TOS:" something that always appears on the line you wish to use for trapping? Is it always in the same place?

If so, might it work as the trap and if not, what goes wrong with it?

The offer to have a look at the requirement for you still stands if you can provide me wiht the file and a short description of what you need from it.

Best regards,

Grant

Originally posted by Bill Kinkead:

Grant,

Thanks for your message. I have tried trapping everything and then just filtering it all out, but my trap does not seem to work. The one column has alpha numeric data and the others just have numeric. I am at a loss to why its not picking up everything so I can just worry about it after I get it in the template. /b[/quote]

• Detail Trap problem
                Bill Kinkead

I have accutally trapped the "TOS:" field. I would be happy to forward you a copy of what the report looks like so you can see what I am trying to do.

take care

Bill

• Detail Trap problem
                  jac _

Here is a similar thing. If Monarch can perform the below operation, we would greatly appreciate it! Here is a simulation of the report:

001      1           23.09   

104/08/01     96        7,578.10  

000    104        7,891.69    

001      3        1,902.62

104/08/02    107        9,794.31

000    122        6,932.74 

104/08/03    122        6,932.74

COMPANY 0125 

I need to pull the company (0125) included with the summary date (04/08/01), with each of the above items (, , ). As you see, there are different combinations of 000, 001, and both above the date. If you have any ideas, please let me know!!

Thanks,

Jeff

• Detail Trap problem
                    Grant Perkins

Jeff,

There was something rather similar to this some months ago - I will try to find the details. It may have been a little more complex.

Your 'detail' lines - (000,001) - are there ever more than 2?

Do they ever repeat within a reported year?

Is the real report quite similar to what you posted. In particular could you see any problemn with trapping each of the components as stand alone fields? If they can be trapped without problems as stand alone fields then it should be possible to get them all together.

The company number looks like a footer template at this time.

Grant

Originally posted by jac:

Here is a similar thing. If Monarch can perform the below operation, we would greatly appreciate it! Here is a simulation of the report:

[font="courier"][page header]

001      1           23.09   

104/08/01     96        7,578.10  

000    104        7,891.69    

001      3        1,902.62

104/08/02    107        9,794.31

000    122        6,932.74 

104/08/03    122        6,932.74

COMPANY 0125  /font[/quote]I need to pull the company (0125) included with the summary date (04/08/01), with each of the above items (, , ). As you see, there are different combinations of 000, 001, and both above the date. If you have any ideas, please let me know!!

Thanks,

Jeff /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ July 27, 2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Detail Trap problem
                      Grant Perkins

Jeff,

I have a model that will work with your sample but I am a little concerned about the "1" before each date. Does that (or something similarly uniquely identifiable) really exist before each date?

Grant

• Detail Trap problem
                        jac _

No, it will always be 000 or 001. It can also be both above the same date like it shows.

The report lines look the same, with different spacing of course, and the only thing that changes is the company number. There are more than ten of them.

I tried capturing them as stand alone including the company as a footer(also tried date), but then I don’t know what date (or company) they go with.

I tried a floating trap, that didn’t work.

I am using Monarch 6.0

• Detail Trap problem
                          jac _

I have no idea what the 1 is for, other than the programmer decided there should be one!!

Thank you so much for your help!! That model worked great!!

Jac

• Detail Trap problem
                            Grant Perkins

That's excellent - who cares why the "1" is there - it makes the model viable! I just knew that one day I would come across a programming quirk that helped rather than hindered!     

For those out of the loop;

Detail lines (000, 001) have a couple of trap options. The Summary lines with dates need to be 'trailing' appends. Use the same trap as the detail lines but apply 'vertically floating' appends which will work in this case. (All you need is a suitable 'preceding string'. In this case the 1 seems to work for the date and a "/" from the date would work for the summary fields if required.

The customer number can be a footer template.

Warning - it can be much more complex than this but still have potential solutions.

Grant

Originally posted by jac:

I have no idea what the 1 is for, other than the programmer decided there should be one!!

Thank you so much for your help!! That model worked great!!

Jac /b[/quote]