7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:56 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Summary Data in Trap

Searching _

Help anyone

The report I am extracting data from also includes Summary data for each day.

Problem being that the summary data is set up exactly the same as the data I want to trap.

Summary data ends up being attached to the last employee id on the report each day and again MTD.

Can Monarch ignore this Summary data?

:confused:

• Summary Data in Trap
          Bruce _

Hi Searching

Does this this summary data have anything on the line that would help exclude it? Perhaps "total" or "Daily summary" or something.

Can you post a sample snippet of the report & also what version of Monarch are you using? The new version of Monarch has duplicate supression that might help you out.

Regards

• Summary Data in Trap
            Steve Caiels

Hi,

Does the total line have anything above it? 

eg

[font="courier"]12345

-

99999  (excuse the poor maths!)[/font][/quote]If so, you could extract the info above (dashes in this case) as an append and use that field in a filter.

Regards

Steve

• Summary Data in Trap
              Searching _

Hello again!

Please find attached a small sample of my report.

As you can see the schedule breakdown for the agent and the breakdown in summary data are the same. All hours are getting trapped under the last agent, in this case 977 John Smith.

Agent ID Name                     Date 12/01/04

977 John Smith

Break                    0:30

Work                     7:00

Lunch                    0:30

Total                    8:00

Summary Data for:Date 12/01/04

Total Agents: 66

Break                   30:15

Work                   211:30

Lunch                   32:00

Total                  273:45

• Summary Data in Trap
                Steve Caiels

Hi,

Try bringing in the “Summary Data for:” line as an append.  Then highlight a field covering the word “summary” called “sum_check”.  You should find the sum_check field will be blank for the agents and contain the word “summary” for the summary figures.

Then create a filter using the expression sum_check=””.  Finally hide the sum_check column.

Regards

Steve

• Summary Data in Trap
                  Grant Perkins

The sample suggested this approach although there may be reasons that it would not work for the whole report.

Create a DETAIL template using a sample that covers all the lines from the Agent ID (trap on the numerics for the ID) down through Total for the Agent. (6 lines in the sample).

If required, create an append template to get the date from the column heading row.

Create a FOOTER template using all the summary rows in the sample. Trap on "Summary Data" and paint field for date, total agents and anything else you need. No real purpose unless they might be useful for cross checking and validation later. If you don't need the fields don't define any, but make sure the sample has enough lines to cover the block of summary data - 8 rows in your sample.

That should be it.

If you have V7 there are few interesting things you could play with to take that further but I will leave it at that for now.

Grant

PS. Steve's suggestion is nice if you need the individual lines as detail lines.

Originally posted by Searching:

Hello again!

Please find attached a small sample of my report.

As you can see the schedule breakdown for the agent and the breakdown in summary data are the same. All hours are getting trapped under the last agent, in this case 977 John Smith.

Agent ID Name                     Date 12/01/04

977 John Smith

Break                    0:30

Work                     7:00

Lunch                    0:30

Total                    8:00

Summary Data for:Date 12/01/04

Total Agents: 66

Break                   30:15

Work                   211:30

Lunch                   32:00

Total                  273:45 /b[/quote]

• Summary Data in Trap
                    Searching _

Thanks Steve

It worked, however it only trapped data for the first day of the month. Everything after Dec.1 Summary data was "" Sorry if I did not mention it was MTD with summary after each day.

Thanks Grant

My problem is that the 6 lines in the sample can very up to 15 lines.

Any more help would be great

Thanks Fred

• Summary Data in Trap
                      Grant Perkins

Fred,

Hmm. Good job I included my first line caveat then!

Second caveat.

What I am about to try to describe requires a recent version of Monarch - V7 Pro would be excellent ...

Plan B - if you are in a position to release (off forum) a sample of the report that includes records with minimum number of lines and maximum number of lines and a list of the various line tags that may appear I could have a look and create a model for you to assess.

Plan C

Uss the Agent ID line as you detail using the MINIMUM NUMBER OF LINES EVER INCLUDED FOR AN AGENT as the number of lines in the sample for the template. (e.g. my ealrier suggestion but maybe more or less than 6 lines. Count blank lines between the end of one record and the start of the next.

Now this may leave you with about 9 lines possibly not recovered by the Detail template.

I assume that all line will have a unique tag - i.e. WORK, LUNCH, BREAK, VACATION, etc. If not, stop here. I also assume that there is a minimum set of lines that will always appear for each Agent. If that is not the case the the ideas that follow will need to be adapted for all possible lines including those in the detail record. In fact you may need to think of the detail record as the single line fo ragent ID only.

If they DO have unique tags for all different types AND there is no repetition/duplication within a single agent record, you could try the following for the rest of the fields.

Define another template - an append this time - with the same trap position and trap as the Agent ID detail line. The sample size should be as many rows as possible so long as it does not exceed the MINIMUM number of rows for what COULD be the Agent ID record. That was 6 rows in the first suggestion remember. So I will use a 6 row example here.

You will now need to paint a field on row one in the correct horizontal position on the line for one of the tagged data fields you have not already captured. Right click on the field and bring up the field properties. Click on ADVANCED and in the 'Start field on' section enter a preceeding string for the TAG of the field you wish to capture. Close the screen. You should now be able to see any occurances of that field highlighted in the report view if scroll through the report, assuming you have V7. If not save the model and then have a look.

Repeat this to create a field on row 2, another on row 3 and so on. The order of creation does not matter. I you run out of rows simply create another append in the same way to add the remaining field tags.

You should end up with a table which is likely to include all the possible tagged fields in the report(assuming at least one agent record has an entry with that tag). For any agent the fields used will be populated in the table and the unused fields will be empty.

If this does not make sense I may have missed something. I do have an rough example I could provide (it's slightly more complex I think, based on what I know of your requirement so far) so if you get stuck contact me by Private Message and give me an email address and I will see what I can find.

Grant

Originally posted by Searching:

Thanks Grant

My problem is that the 6 lines in the sample can very up to 15 lines.

Any more help would be great

Thanks Fred /b[/quote]