3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

Data Pump vs. Monarch

David Shepard

I joined today and have been reading several of the discussions here and wonder if I am using the wrong product.  Currently I use Monarch for taking a datafile (in just about any format) and via a batch file, convert the data into a standard format (sometimes having to manipulate the data with calculated fields, etc.).  This works very well.  My programmer has now written a JAVA application (used via a web browser) and Monarch appears to 'hang' when processing.  We've moved away from Monarch and are coding conversions separately for each client (very time consuming).  Is data pump a better product for data manipulation?  Is their a trial run of Data Pump available?

• Data Pump vs. Monarch
          Grant Perkins

David,

I'm not sure of exactly what you need to do with your services but is you are providing a web based portal to third parties for parts of their business it might be worth thinking oof the Datawatch product family in the context of a suite of applications which can essentially be operated by non-programmers if required or integrated with other applications should that be appropriate.

The information about how the product family is positioned is available on the Datawatch web site.

[url="http://www.datawatch.com/monarch-report-newsletter/newsletter-august.asp?id=4"]Link.[/url]

It sounds like you have already looked at the option of automating Monarch and my guess is that the programming gurus in the forum could help your programmer resolve the problem of Monarch hanging.

Data Pump may well have a use in your operation since it mainly targets those who meed to use the Monarch functionality in a higher volume production environment for regularly occurring processes. Which is very likely what you have based on a quick glance at your web site.

MDP allows for processes to be scheduled, processed by Monarch and then the results distributed by various methods to individuals or storage 'silos' and so on. So the processes become highly automated but still can be managed by non-technical staff if that is a requirement.

On the other hand you seem to have a web browser portal requirement in which case Datawatch |ES may be the answer. With screens that can be tailored to reflect the needs of the various clients logging in (or their clients) as far as corporate image is concerned I would guess it might provide almost all of your requirements. You would still have Monarch functionality for the data conversions and calculations and could still use Data Pump if scheduling and distribution are becoming key requirements.

It may well be worth taking a few minutes to check what is on offer view the link or maybe even consider some of the other products in the Datawatch tool chest if MDP and ES are not quite aligned with your vision of your client's needs.

Such products may meet with resistance from IT departments from time to time. Belief in particular specific skills being replaceable by an application and an office-body or two is rarely found in IT groups in my experience.     

I hope this is of some help to you.

Grant

• Data Pump vs. Monarch
            David Shepard

Grant - thank you very much for your reply and do appreciate the time and effort you exerted reviewing my website. 

In a nutshell you have it correct - I take a file from a client (format could change from client to client - thus, the need for a Monarch style application), convert it 'automatedly' into a 'standard' format and then launch our Java application for importing and processing.

We abandoned Monarch Pro 8 when we learned a) it is not supported in a Java environment and b) could not get passed the hanging of the application.  We spoke directly with the nice people at Datawatch and ended up not getting anywhere.  Simply put - we were passed the point of what was supported.

We've built a workaround (and it is just that, a workaround), where we have a SQL mapping table that converts the data for each new import we do - the problem is, we need a programmer to do it.  Resources are tight so a programmer is not always available.

In Java coders in this group that has called Monarch to do a process and then pickup the results and continue processing?  I can try and dig up exactly what the programmer was doing and where it was hanging if that would be helpful.

To all - thank you for replying to this email - your input is very valuable.

David

• Data Pump vs. Monarch
              Gareth Horton

David,

I am not sure if Steve Bromley got the Java stuff working, see  [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000587#000000"]this[/url] thread for more info.

Data Pump is a slightly different animal, in that you cannot simply pass a report and model and an export location.  Everything is set up as processes, which specify an input file, model, exports and any distributions, such as moving the files around, e-mailing them etc.

However, it does have a web services interface, which can easily be called from a Java app.

You can use what is known as a manifest, to pass a dynamic filename into a process when you start it via the web service interface, but the model and export location will be fixed in the process definition.  There is some leeway on the folder and filename, as they can be macro_generated within the process, mainly via date and time.

There is much more flexibility with the .NET API, but that is no use to you with Java.

Gareth

Originally posted by David Shepard:

I joined today and have been reading several of the discussions here and wonder if I am using the wrong product.  Currently I use Monarch for taking a datafile (in just about any format) and via a batch file, convert the data into a standard format (sometimes having to manipulate the data with calculated fields, etc.).  This works very well.  My programmer has now written a JAVA application (used via a web browser) and Monarch appears to 'hang' when processing.  We've moved away from Monarch and are coding conversions separately for each client (very time consuming).  Is data pump a better product for data manipulation?  Is their a trial run of Data Pump available? /b[/quote]