3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Jean-Louis Vergaert RSS

Tabular reports

Jean-Louis Vergaert

Hello everyone,

My first assignment with Monarch, and it's already a complicated one: a tabular report, like this:

Week 1,      Week 2,   Week 3,

Billing        100,          75,      45,

Assistance      30,          20,      15,

What I want from this is 3 records:

Week,         Billing,       Assistance

1 ,              100 ,          30

2 ,               75 ,          20

3 ,               45 ,         15

I don't see like I could use the Multi Column.

The problem is, how can I design the field "week" for each report.

PS: this report is fixed length, I have inserted the comas for display in this posting only.

Thanks in advance for any comments,

• Tabular reports
          Grant Perkins

Jean-Louis,

You mention multi-column so I guess you have Version 7?

If you can define the traps for the templates in the real report (your sample is no problem but maybe not typical), try this:

Multicolumn ON and define your columns.

Make the WEEK row your DETAIL Template.

Make the Billing and Assistance Rows a FOOTER template. (I have assumed they are always consistent in their existence and the order in which they appear. If so you can simply 'paint' the fields.)

That's it really.

If my assumption is wrong for the Footer fields, try using the 'Preceeding String' function for the fields rather than the Line Number. Defined the preceeding string as 'Billing' for the Billing filed and 'Assistance' for the Assistance field and so on if you have other fields. (This idea might need revising depending on what you actually have on the report ...)

It occurs to me that there may also be another level of data above the detail - maybe Client or Department or something - and there could therefore be multiple occurences of the Detail and Footer lines on a page.

To deal with this create an APPEND TEMPLATE for the data area above the detail section. This area is probably NOT part of the multi-column definition so go back to the MCR settings and specify the start and end templates for the MCR.

If your 'Start' template is your APPEND and the append area covers end on the row before your detail the MCR will pick the detail as the first row in the column.

If you set APPEND as your END template you will see better control over the MCR area. You may have some blank lines at the bottom of the MCR area. If you want to get rid of these you may be able to define a dummy template (append type, carefully trapped to make sure you don't exclude anything you need) with no fields  that you can use to define the 'end' of the MCR.

This suggestions works with a simple tabular data file I created based on what you posted. Of course the real report may present some other problems for some of these ideas. Let us know if you need a different approach.

If you don't have Version 7 you will certainly need a different approach!

Grant

Originally posted by Jean-Louis Vergaert:

Hello everyone,

My first assignment with Monarch, and it's already a complicated one: a tabular report, like this:

Week 1,      Week 2,   Week 3,

Billing        100,          75,      45,

Assistance      30,          20,      15,

What I want from this is 3 records:

Week,         Billing,       Assistance

1 ,              100 ,          30

2 ,               75 ,          20

3 ,               45 ,         15

I don't see like I could use the Multi Column.

The problem is, how can I design the field "week" for each report.

PS: this report is fixed length, I have inserted the comas for display in this posting only.

Thanks in advance for any comments, /b[/quote]

• Tabular reports
            Steve Caiels

Hi Jean-Louis,

Does your report only contain the three lines?

If so, then you can do this in one Multi Column Region template by selecting  a 3 line sample. 

If the report is a bit more complicated, then you may need to split it in a similar way to Grant’s suggestion.  Maybe making Billing and Assistance a 2 line detail with the week numbers as an append.

If neither of our suggestions work, please feel free to post a follow up or contact me via the UK tech support email on support@datawatch-europe.com[/email]

Regards

Steve

• Tabular reports
              Jean-Louis Vergaert

Thanks to both of you,

I have Version 7, so I could use the Multi Columns.

A little bit complicated for a first assignment, but I am making progress.

Again, thanks for such quick help,

Jean-Louis