5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Fred _ RSS

Filtering Asterix

Fred _

Happy New Year folks.

I have tried to no avail to try and trap asterix's.  I have a report that identifies out of balances and error's by placing asterix's next to the amounts.  I can't seem to find a way to create a filter.  Can you guys help?

Thanks.

• Filtering Asterix
          Fred _

Sorry I meant filter no trap.

Thanks.

• Filtering Asterix
            Grant Perkins

Fred,

I'm guessing the the asterisk is after the number? In which case you could think of it as a separate field which will either be populated or not and simply filter on that basis.

If the asterisk is before the number it would be a little more involved I suspect.

You can also consider using the ASCii value of "*" as a comparison. There was a [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000343;p=1#000003"]recent post[/url] in another thread that not only mentioned this idea but also offered a formula (but not for the ASCii value of *).

Your filter could be to exclude empty or blank fields just as easily as to include fields with * of course.

An ASCII conversion table can be downloaded from [url="http://www.datawatch.com/support/downloads.asp"][b]here[/b][/url]

Does this help with your problem?

Grant

Originally posted by Fred:

Happy New Year folks.

I have tried to no avail to try and trap asterix's.  I have a report that identifies out of balances and error's by placing asterix's next to the amounts.  I can't seem to find a way to create a filter.  Can you guys help?

Thanks. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ May 02, 2006, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]

• Filtering Asterix
              Fred _

I tried including the ascii value for asterix.  *=042 as in the formula you directed me to but I get invalid delimiter.  I tried the IsNull function but no avail.

• Filtering Asterix
                Grant Perkins

Fred,

You wouldn't need the whole formula which I suspect has a "(" missing after the "RSPLIT" string. (I didn't check the formula as it was only the idea I intended to point you to!)

As a filter you would be looking at the simpler;

asc()=42

or

asc()<>0    (zero)

See how that works for you.

Grant

Originally posted by Fred:

I tried including the ascii value for asterix.  *=042 as in the formula you directed me to but I get invalid delimiter.  I tried the IsNull function but no avail. /b[/quote]

• Filtering Asterix
                  Fred _

It worked great.  The ascii code formula.  Thanks I owe you a beer  smile.gif[/img]