Detail and Append problem

Rich Benedetto

I am trying to breakdown a Product that is laid out similar to this:

Course

code:

NARRATIVE:  First cours

Prerequisites to code:

Prerequisites: 00090 00045 00012

The problem is that the course code needs to be the detail and the other three levels need to be seperate appends to due the layout of the product. When I make the course code the detail it applies the appends to the next record and fills in the blanks with the previous field.  I have tried all settings possible to no avail.  I am sure there is a way to do this.

Thanks

Rich

• Detail and Append problem
          Grant Perkins

Rich,

Not quite sure why your prerequisites need to be separate appends (rather than separate fields) but a couple of ideas come to mind.

A. If the number of lines in each record are always consistent you may be able to define an append template with a trap the same as or before your detail line trap and simply pick the Nth row of the template for the fields and paint the fields on that line - one template at a time if you have to treat them as separate appends.

B.  Can you make that section of the report a footer instead? Of course there is only one footer allowed to we are back to the 'why multiple templates' question so it may be best to answer that one before getting too much further into the problem.     

I assume your post has a sample structure rather than a sample of a real 'live' report layout. It is always possible that my suggestions above would not be viable for 'the real thing'.

Grant

Originally posted by Rich Benedetto:

I am trying to breakdown a Product that is laid out similar to this:

Course

code:

NARRATIVE:  First cours

Prerequisites to code:

Prerequisites: 00090 00045 00012

The problem is that the course code needs to be the detail and the other three levels need to be seperate appends to due the layout of the product. When I make the course code the detail it applies the appends to the next record and fills in the blanks with the previous field.  I have tried all settings possible to no avail.  I am sure there is a way to do this.

Thanks

Rich /b[/quote]