2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Bruce _ RSS

Numeric OR trap

Bruce _

Happy New Years everyone,

How does the Numberic OR trap work? The on-line help is very vague on the details.

I want to trap if any number exists in one column or another column (maybe exists in both columns). Columns may have blank entries for both & I want to exclude these.

Thank you

Bruce

smile.gif[/img] 

Monarch 7.01, Win XP Pro

• Numeric OR trap
          Grant Perkins

Hi Bruce,

Happy New Year to you as well!

The Numeric OR trap sounds perfect for what you want to do. Just add the trap to ALL the columns where there may be a number on a line in a record you wish to select. In other words you would expect to see the trap character at least twice on the trap line, maybe more often.

However you may also need to add something else to the trap to exclude lines will be trapped by the Numeric OR but which you don't want in your table. If that is not possible you may need to apply a filter to the table after the trap has selected matching lines. Reports based on numbers often have columns with totals for example and the totals may be excess to requirements but will still be trapped.

Have you already tried the | for multiple columns and observed some unexpected results? If not my recopmmendation would be to play around with it using your report and work out how best to apply it based on the results you get.

I hope this helps in some way.

Grant

Originally posted by Bruce:

Happy New Years everyone,

How does the Numberic OR trap work? The on-line help is very vague on the details.

I want to trap if any number exists in one column or another column (maybe exists in both columns). Columns may have blank entries for both & I want to exclude these.

Thank you

Bruce

smile.gif[/img]  

Monarch 7.01, Win XP Pro /b[/quote]

• Numeric OR trap
            Bruce _

Grant

It worked fine as you explained & as I wanted.

I remeber trying this in ver. 4 and it did not work as I had expected.

Thanks for your help

Bruce

:cool: