I assume you are up to dat ewith Jet releases and things - there are a few past comments about the vagaries of jet and whether updartes actually happen as they say they have.
3146, according to the MS Knowledgebase, probably means that the enquiry has timed out after a pre-defined period (60 seconds is suggested as the default ODBC setting).
I have had similar ( and random) events when working over a corporate network (for example). Usually when the enquiry, not necessarily from Monarch, is being data selective and find nothing to return after 60 seconds of searching. Seems ok if it selects the early records - that sort of thing.
Not a lot of specific help I'm afraid but ODBC seems to be a bit like that - erratic - in my experience.
I hope someone else has some more useful input than I. The MS Kbase (search on "jet error 3146") comes up with a few other references about how to try and find out what is going on - but it is all to do with code and and I don't do code! Sorry.
I am working in Monarch Pro 7.1 with an SQL database and with certain database tables I am getting the message (Jet database error 3146) ODBC call failed) :confused: . What does it mean and how do I go about diagnosing what is wrong. I do not get this with all tables only a few. This error code is not documented in the Monarch Pro help. Thanks
If it helps I do not get the error when I access the same data tables with Excel. /b[/quote]
Most of the Jet questions on the forum relate to Export functionality rather than ODBC but one of the points explained by Gareth is that V6 uses some well tested Jet dll's kept locally in the Monarch directory structure whereas V7 uses the Jet dll's within the MS Windows installation.
So there are likely to be some differences but quite what effect thaey will have is uncertain.
If it was my problem I would firstly check the MS site for Jet updates and Knowledgebase items. (There are some links from the forum for this - search on "jet" and then pick through the list. As I have not found one that relates directly to ODBC I feel it is probably not a good idea to reference any of the posts directly).
After that, and assuming there is still a problem, I think it may be worth checking the ODBC definitions if only to ensure that different versions of Monarch are using the same ODBC link definitions.
I don't have an equivalent database set up available so no real chance to do any 'hands on' checking. Sorry.
I hope this leads you to a path that uncovers something helpful.
PS. It might be worth turning the ODBC 'tracing' log on in order to see what is happening. If you did this on the V7 and the V6 machines you could compare the outputs. Don't forget to turn it off afterwards though - the log file can get quite large if left too long!
What is really odd is that we don't get this error with Monarch Pro 6.0. I also use Windows XP. /b[/quote]
[size="1"][ June 10, 2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]
Don't feel bad Ron. You are not alone. I spent weeks trying to troubleshoot the same exact issue. Running a trace didn't help. I think it is a timeout issue. I have a huge table and use the date to limit the records. If I remove the date from my filter, it ran fine. I was retrieving records for the past 6 months from this huge SQL table. Now I only go back one month and it seems okay. I will be trying to install the Microsoft update for JET DB that I found on this site's FAQ link as soon as I finish reading about the possible damage I might run into by installing it. If it helps, I will let you know.