1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Monarch runs as a Process but not Application

tcorley _

I have Monarch installed on a windows 2000 pro machine (with all updates). Monarch has performed and ran fine for about a year. This morning it has started to do something strange. It runs, but does not appear.

Let me explain. When you launch monarch it begins to load, but never "appears". Querying task manager reveals the process Monarch.exe is running, but there is no application.

An uninstall reinstall of Monarch does the same thing.

I have had this problem in the past and I re-formatted the computer to fix the situation (quite annoying, but monarch is worth it).

Datawatch Tech Support advised me that is was my "environment" causing the problem. I really have no idea what that means. I did as they said which was:

1) Uninstall Monarch

2) Search the registry for the word monarch and delete anything that it finds.

3) Re-boot

4) Re-Install

As you have probably guessed this did not work either.

I am now re-formatting that computer (what a pain).

I posted this problem last time I had it. While I did not get a solution I did receive several emails and a few phone calls of people having a similar problem.

I know this is a very odd and un-common problem, but it has happened to me twice in last year and I do not want to have to re-format another computer.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Monarch runs as a Process but not Application
          Grant Perkins

Hi tc,

I used to get apps that would suddenly reset their 'last used' onscreen window size to be, effectively, 0 or 1 pixel wide or high. Which means they 'disappear'. If the ini entry for the application has reset last on screen position to L=1 and R=1 you get a very narrow window! I have even known negative values which puts things onto a virtual screen, usually somewhere to the left of your monitor.  :confused: 

However you would expect to see an icon in the system tray.

I may be way off track but if you are into using regedit you might want to check out the registry values for "WindowNormalPos" and "WindowNormalSize" in your Monarch Registry entries.

My Win98 Notebook with Mon V5 Pro has these entries at the following location in the registry;

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareDatawatchMonarch ProSettings

Quite why there should be a problem with Win2000 I don't know. I can't remember having the problem with Win 98 or XP. But then it was some time ago that I last saw it so my poor old memeory may be playing tricks on me.

That said I do have problems with my AOL7 software on this machine in that sometimes a click to move to a new page causes the sub-session to vanish ... similar, but not quite the same.

Grant

Originally posted by tcorley:

I have Monarch installed on a windows 2000 pro machine (with all updates). Monarch has performed and ran fine for about a year. This morning it has started to do something strange. It runs, but does not appear.

Let me explain. When you launch monarch it begins to load, but never "appears". Querying task manager reveals the process Monarch.exe is running, but there is no application.

An uninstall reinstall of Monarch does the same thing.

I have had this problem in the past and I re-formatted the computer to fix the situation (quite annoying, but monarch is worth it).

Datawatch Tech Support advised me that is was my "environment" causing the problem. I really have no idea what that means. I did as they said which was:

1) Uninstall Monarch

2) Search the registry for the word monarch and delete anything that it finds.

3) Re-boot

4) Re-Install

As you have probably guessed this did not work either.

I am now re-formatting that computer (what a pain).

I posted this problem last time I had it. While I did not get a solution I did receive several emails and a few phone calls of people having a similar problem.

I know this is a very odd and un-common problem, but it has happened to me twice in last year and I do not want to have to re-format another computer.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. /b[/quote]