1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Footer adding to every item even when there isn't a footer.

Joe _

I have a text file that looks like this:

278043710  MESH 23X27MM OVAL/TRPZD 8X10MM 55-621000          55

CURRENT                      

RATE SCHED  EFF. DATE    PRICE       P/C    EFF. DATE

STANDARD    10/01/03   6600.00              02/01/03                                                                               

ALT CODES                  

ALT TYPE    EFF DATE  ALT CODE         ALT DESC     

CONV-CD     01011900  4870212                       

CPT4-93     01011900  C1781                         

09/30/02  C1781                         

I basically need to pick up the first number "278043710"  which I have set up as page header.  Then there are a few other things I have set up as append.  All of that works great.  But at the bottom I need to pick up any codes that are CPT4-93.  SO I have a footer set up looking for "CPT4-93" as a trap and pulling in "C1781".  The problem that I am having is that not every record has a CPT code.  and when a record doesn't have a CPT code, it automatically uses the next CPT code.  When all I want is it to be blank.  I played around with the autofill, that didn't work.  There must be an easy fix for this.  Thanks for any help!

I can't set up a multiline trap, because sometimes certain records have more lines than others.  Also sometimes there are page breaks.  But I figured out how to get around the page break.

• Footer adding to every item even when there isn't a footer.
          Grant Perkins

Joe,

Guessing a little and reading between the lines I don't think footer is necessarily the way to go here. Certainly not based on CPT4-93. However you don't mention what you are selecting as your detail section.

Could the area you are thinking of as a footer be included in your detail section for example? Does the "Alt Codes" section ALWAYS exist? Is it that section that can have a variable numbers of lines? (I assume it does.)

If you can't make the entire end of the record the detail section you could try something like setting up the ALT CODES section as a multi-line footer.

If you are using the CPT4-93 as a trap, and assuming that the C1781 code always exists in the same position on the line, you could instead set up a field in the correct horizontal position for the C1781 field and use the field Properties> Options for "Start Field On" to set the "Preceeding String" to CPT4-93. End field would presumably be one line. You would then have the field in all records but only populated where a line has CPT4-93 somewhere to the left of the field. It would not matter which line of the detail or footer (whichever you choose to use) it appeared on.

Does this make sense as a description? It is a little difficult to describe, easier to explain by example.

If you want I can send you an example based on your posted data format. (I know it may not have posted like it should but that will probably not matter as I will include 'my' version of the file).

If that would help just send me a private message with your email address and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Give me a clue about your detail selection as well if possible so that I can look at it from both angles.

Grant

Originally posted by Joe:

I have a text file that looks like this:

[font="courier"]278043710  MESH 23X27MM OVAL/TRPZD 8X10MM 55-621000          55

CURRENT                      

RATE SCHED  EFF. DATE    PRICE       P/C    EFF. DATE

STANDARD    10/01/03   6600.00              02/01/03                                                                               

ALT CODES                  

ALT TYPE    EFF DATE  ALT CODE         ALT DESC     

CONV-CD     01011900  4870212                       

CPT4-93     01011900  C1781                         

09/30/02  C1781                          /font[/quote]I basically need to pick up the first number "278043710"  which I have set up as page header.  Then there are a few other things I have set up as append.  All of that works great.  But at the bottom I need to pick up any codes that are CPT4-93.  SO I have a footer set up looking for "CPT4-93" as a trap and pulling in "C1781".  The problem that I am having is that not every record has a CPT code.  and when a record doesn't have a CPT code, it automatically uses the next CPT code.  When all I want is it to be blank.  I played around with the autofill, that didn't work.  There must be an easy fix for this.  Thanks for any help!

I can't set up a multiline trap, because sometimes certain records have more lines than others.  Also sometimes there are page breaks.  But I figured out how to get around the page break. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ December 09, 2003, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]