4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:55 AM by ron cousino RSS

RSplit function

ron cousino

I need to be able to split a string into two parts based on a single " being the separator.  Is there a workaround since you cannot enter """ in the split functions to identify the character as the separator. I am a Monarch Pro v8.1 user.

• RSplit function
          Data Kruncher

Ron,

You can use build two calculated fields with similar formulas to accomplish this.

This will give you the left side of the double quote:

[font="courier"]LSplit(OriginalField,2,Chr(34),1)[/font][/quote]and this will give you the right side:

[font="courier"]LSplit(OriginalField,2,Chr(34),2)[/font][/quote]Chr(34) is the ASCII number for a double quote character.

Kruncher

• RSplit function
            Grant Perkins

Ron,

Hmm, forget my post if you read it, slight brain fade from me but Kruncher got it right and got there first!

Grant

[size="1"][ March 31, 2006, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• RSplit function
              ron cousino

Originally posted by Data Kruncher:

Ron,

You can use build two calculated fields with similar formulas to accomplish this.

This will give you the left side of the double quote:

[font="courier"]LSplit(OriginalField,2,Chr(34),1)[/font][/quote]and this will give you the right side:

[font="courier"]LSplit(OriginalField,2,Chr(34),2)[/font][/quote]Chr(34) is the ASCII number for a double quote character.

Kruncher /b[/quote]

• RSplit function
                ron cousino

This was the solution!   Thanks for your help it really cleared up and simplified what I had to do to get the data I needed.